Museum Experience Coordinator Intern
Location: Twin Cities Metro
City: St. Paul, MN
Type: Unpaid Internship
Category: Arts Education
Deadline: May 1, 2017
About Minnesota Children’s Museum
Minnesota Children’s Museum’s mission is sparking children’s learning through play. We are dedicated to providing children with a hands-on and stimulating environment to explore and discover. With locations in St. Paul, Rochester, and the Mall of America, MCM employs 65 full-time and 65 part-time employees and engages over 1,300 volunteers annually. At MCM our workplace values that guide how we work together are: Play, Include, Grow, Serve and Strive.
Minnesota Children’s Museum is dedicated to growing a diverse and culturally competent team of highly engaged staff and volunteers. Applicants from diverse populations are strongly encouraged to apply.
This position is responsible for assisting the Museum Experience Team with daily logistical functions necessary to run the Museum’s experiences. This may include completing a variety of administrative duties to support the Museum Experience department, assisting with scheduling, taking inventory and ordering supplies, collecting and calculating program data, assisting with program-related communications, coordinating logistics for special programs and activities and special projects to improve department processes.
Major Job Accountabilities
This is an estimate of the duties to be included in this internship. The exact duties and projects will be determined by mutual agreement of the intern and museum staff. All duties will be carried out with the direction and supervision of the Museum Programs staff.
• Administrative tasks such as: plan and prepare for new Museum, routine and special programs, complete special projects as assigned. Pre-screen staff & intern applicants and assist with selection process and initial training.
• Document regular and special programs and events weekly and as needed through photos and video, maintain electronic photo/video files, create monthly experience slideshows with highlights.
• As needed, assist with set up and clean up. Fill in as a program facilitator on the Museum floor for short periods of time. Assist where needed on the Museum floor on high-traffic busy days.
• Act as event lead during special programs and host for external event partners. Meet, greet and assist program guests (performers, volunteers, etc), assist with set up and clean up, including sound system set up as needed. Provide training for event volunteers.
◦ Other duties as assigned
Qualifications or requirements
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
1.Some post-secondary education in a related field (communication, development, nonprofit management, marketing, event planning).
2.Ability to organize time and work independently, follow directions and complete tasks in an effective manner.
3.Skill in coordinating tasks and projects.
4.Computer skills, including word processing. Experience with Microsoft Excel a plus.
5.Ability to work well with people. Strong written and oral communication skills.
6.Preferable skills/experience: experience working in an administrative role, customer service, volunteer experience, leadership roles, experience working/volunteering in family-oriented environments (interacting with adults and children together), previous event coordination, and/or previous experience working with children.
1. Intern orientation
2. Museum background and philosophy
3. Play Training (Museum educational roots and visitor interaction skills)
4. Assignment Specific Training
5. Optional free trainings: Wakanheza
Applications accepted until the position is filled. 1-2 interns needed.
How to apply
Position type: Unpaid Internship
Organization activity: Arts Education