Skip to main content
We will be closed July 4-8 Details

Artists face a unique array of legal questions and challenges. Minnesota Lawyers for the Arts is here to help, by providing educational resources and connecting artists with attorneys who specialize in arts and entertainment law.

MnLA is the Minnesota chapter of the National Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts (VLA) Network. For chapters outside Minnesota, see this list compiled by Volunteer Lawyers and Accountants for the Arts in St. Louis, Missouri.

If you're looking for an attorney in Minnesota for a legal issue that falls outside the scope of services provided by Minnesota Lawyers for the Arts, see this guide.

Attorney Phone Consultation Request

If you have general questions about copyright, taxes, intellectual property, trademarks, setting up a business, licensing, writing or signing a contract, copyright and trademark infringement, artist immigration, music royalties, leasing and buying property, estate planning, or other law-related questions related to your work as an artist, you can request a free phone consultation with 1-2 of our volunteer attorneys.

You’ll be sent the names of two attorneys with a number, and you’ll be eligible to receive 30 minutes of free phone consultation. If additional services are needed, you can work out a reduced rate with the attorney of your choosing.

Arrange a Consultation
Meet with a Legal Professional

If you need to have a contract reviewed by an attorney, want to set up an LLC or nonprofit, negotiate a commercial lease, file a trademark, or something else that requires you to work directly in person with a professional, you can attend a legal clinic.

At a legal clinic, you'll have a 30 minute meeting with an attorney. These are scheduled in six-week cycles in the Twin Cities. Clinics are sponsored by Minnesota Lawyers for the Arts, or co-presented with LegalCORPS. These sessions are free, but there is limited space available. A brief phone interview with a law student, who will brief your attorney, may be required.

Attend a legal clinic
Request a Mediation

If you have a dispute with a business or contractor, a landlord/tenant issue related to your studio or workspace, or have another issue that involves two parties, you can request mediation. You’ll be referred to the Conflict Resolution Center to find out if you are a candidate for mediation. Please note a limited number are available annually. You can also learn more about mediation by clicking the form below.

Mediation Request Form

Springboard staff

Artist Resources Director
Become A Volunteer Attorney

Interested in investing in local creatives? Click here to find out more.

Become a Volunteer Attorney