Cultivate Bottineau: Culture, Community and Commerce
Cultivate Bottineau: Culture, Community, and Commerce is a collaborative effort to activate spaces, build connections, celebrate diversity, and promote opportunity through local artist-led creative placemaking projects in the Bottineau Corridor where the planned Bottineau Light Rail Transit line will run.
With support from the McKnight Foundation, this work is coordinated by Hennepin County Bottineau Community Works and Springboard for the Arts, in partnership with the cities of Minneapolis, Golden Valley, Robbinsdale, Crystal, and Brooklyn Park, and other community partners.
Use buttons on the right to submit a Request for Proposal.
If you are an artist – of any background or discipline - who lives, works, or has a connection to one or more of the Bottineau corridor cities (North Minneapolis, Golden Valley, Robbinsdale, Crystal, Brooklyn Park), use your creative talents to benefit your neighborhood, local businesses and organizations this summer!
Two separate Requests for Proposals (RFPs) are open. Full RFP on right.
1) An Art Activity RFP seeks up to 15 artists/artist teams to provide repeat art activities at community events in corridor cities for $2,000 per project. 10' x 10' tents will be made available for artists to use during events (information to follow for artists who are selected). PLEASE NOTE: Some event times have changed from the original RFP and we've added another event! The application includes the most up-to-date information.
2) An Art in the Public Realm RFP seeks ideas for specific installations/projects with cities for $10,000-$15,000 commissions per project.
Eligible artists may apply once each for the two types of RFPs. Prior experience working in the public realm or with community is not required. Please find additional details in the RFPs.
COMPLETED PROJECTS (2018)
- Stayci Bell (art installation), Destination Unknown
A community-informed art installation.
- Josh Bindewald (art installation), Gardens Doing Good
Now on display. Go to Robbinsdale City Hall to see designs for the vinyl wrap that will be installed this spring. The artistic and informative vinyl wrap will cover the generator at Robbinsdale City Hall. You can also see the design here.
- Keiona Cook (art-making experience/felting), Felting Fun Coaster Contest
January 19, Homewood Studios, 2400 Plymouth Ave N, Minneapolis, MN 55411. Community members will learn about felting and have fun creating a coaster set for a loved one or for themselves.
- Nancy Cook (art-making experience/writing), Writing the Autobiography of a Northside Neighborhood
October 27, November 10, November 17, 10am – 12pm. Sumner Library, 611 Van White Memorial Blvd, Minneapolis, MN 55411. Participants will experiment with poems and stories to capture the rich history and culture of North Minneapolis neighborhoods.
- Angela Davis (art-making experience) Design a Train at Sumner Library
October 27, 2 – 4pm, Sumner Library, 611 Van White Memorial Blvd, Minneapolis, MN 55411. By creating and coloring paper light rail trains, this experience will give community members a sense of connection to the blue line extension and their neighbors.
- Kristi Evanger (art-making experience/painting), Paint the Town, Robbinsdale
September 15, 22, 29, October 6 and 13. 6 locations around Robbinsdale. A gathering of artists painting outdoors in Robbinsdale. See photos here.
- N'Kol Imani Dowls (photography), Envision Us Whole
An outdoor photo gallery.
- Darren Isaacson, Reid Jarvi and Jeremey Paulson (dance event), Innovate
February 24, 4 - 10pm, Asian Media Access, 2418 Plymouth Avenue N, Minneapolis, MN 55411. Youth-led, hip-hop dance battle. See event poster here.
- Snoti Jappah (music performance), Music in Crystal
December 28, 2018, Rostamo's Bar. Original music and song requests from the audience.
- Callie Kalogerson (cultural music performance), L'Chaim a Jewish Musical Journey
November 17, 1- 2pm, Brooklyn Park Library, 8500 W Broadway Ave, Brooklyn Park, MN, 55443. Community members will hear and learn about various styles of Jewish music.
- Chris Kalogerson (music performance), Music From around the World
November 26, 1 - 2pm, Copperfield Hill, 4200 40th Avenue North, Robbinsdale, MN, 55422. Performance of music from various countries around the world.
- Mary Kalogerson (music performance), A Greek Wedding
August 24, Becker Park, 6225 56th N Ave, Crystal, MN. A cultural music experience.
- Mira Kehoe and Ray Kivlahan (music/multimedia performance), Art on the Line
September 14, 63rd Avenue Park and Ride, 7000 63rd Ave N, Minneapolis, MN 55428. A multi-cultural art and music experience featuring Brazilian music, an African drum circle, and visual art.
- Nicholas Knutson (video), Northern Explorer
January 16, 2019, 7 - 9pm. CCX Media, 6900 Winnetka Ave N, Brooklyn Park. An artsy, fun, 5 minute informational video tour of the area surrounding the 85th Avenue light rail station. See the trailer here.
- Caron Learned (art-making experience/mosaic), Piece it Together
September 16, October 3, November 4, December 2, Crystal Community Center, 4800 Douglas Drive North, Crystal, MN 55429. In this introduction to mosaic art, students will complete one project: a mosaic mirror or wall pane.
- Lola (dance/fitness event), Witness the Fitness
November 8, 6:30 - 8pm, 8432 Xerxes Avenue, Brooklyn Park, MN, 55444. Zumba and dance routine featuring Caribbean, Latin, Afro fusion, Calypso, and Hip-Hop to get the community moving and motivated to live an active life.
- Devonne Mayweather, Shardae Robinson and Cici Turner (music event), R "n" Believe
November 9, 7 - 10pm, 7500 Brunswick Avenue North, Brooklyn Park, 55443. An artist showcase.
- Jila Nikpay and Mike Terati (video), Blue Line Conversation
September 16. United Minneapolis Church, 4000 Golden Valley Road, Golden Valley, MN 55422. Screening of a 4-minute video exploring people's perception about the impact of the Blue Rail Extension on their lives and the natural environment around Golden Valley Station.
- Geno Okok (mural), African Market Mural
September 26. An abstract mural was painted on the African Market building.
- Lili Payne (installation/painting), Visit the Beehive Grill
A painting depicting a family enjoying a summer's grilling at the "Beehive" in Graeser Park. Displayed at Robbinsdale Historical Society.
- Amy Sands and Gretchen Mathiason (art-making experience/printmaking), Pop-up Print Shop!
August 11 and September 2. Homewood Studios, 2400 Plymouth Ave N, Minneapolis, MN 55411. Participants made and took home a stratograph print using found foliage, celebrating the nature that surrounds and connects all of us.
- Laura Stigen, Jason Flynn and Tay Tep (performance), One Mic + One Canvas = Open Minds
February 23, 2 - 4pm, Brooklyn Park Library, 8500 W Broadway Ave, Brooklyn Park, MN 55443. Community events and open mic performances with a painted mobile backdrop.
- Hawona Sullivan (art installation/poetry), Our Lives are on This Line
February 16, 12pm, North Regional Library, 1315 Lowry Avenue North, Minneapolis, MN 55418. A poetry reading and writing workshop (workshop will immediately follow the poetry reading).
- Sue Trosvig (stained glass), Roll on into Beautiful Golden Valley
December 9, 10am - 12pm, Saint Margaret Mary Church, 2323 Zenith Ave N, Golden Valley, MN 55422; final installation spring 2019. A stained glass sculpture.
- Bryan Thao Worra (interdisciplinary pop-ups), Laomaginition: Transitions
October 19, 3 – 5pm, outdoors clearly visible from the proposed Van White station Blue Line Station (Corner of VanWhite blvd. and Olson mem HWY). Community members will participate and share in traditional folk arts, storytelling, creative gaming, poetry, and performance arts centered around themes of community, transition, imagination and memory.
- Brittany Wright (community dialogue and video), Community Dialogue and Pie Sharing
February 19, EMI Audio, 4719 42nd Ave N, Robbinsdale, MN 55422. A community dialogue and pie sharing in partnership with Rose McGee and Sweet Potato Comfort Pies (see the video created here).
Keep an eye out this spring/summer for more Cultivate projects!
For more information about Cultivate, contact Sam Buffington