3D and Mural Public Art Opportunities (RFQ)
City: St. Louis Park
Stipend: Three opportunities with budgets of $45,000, $15,000, and $20,000 respectively. Finalists will also receive a $1,000 design stipend.
Is this a remote / work from home position?: N/A (commission, RFP, etc.)
PLACE, a nonprofit community development organization based in Minneapolis, invites artists or artist teams from the 7-county Twin Cities metropolitan area to submit qualifications for the opportunity to create a 3D public artwork or mural on the site of their new Via Sol development in St. Louis Park. Via Sol is a new mixed-use, mixed-income, transit-oriented community demonstrating profound environmental design and commitment to artists and creatives, located adjacent to the Cedar Lake Trail and future Southwest LRT Wooddale Station. Commission opportunities available for experienced and emerging or first-time public artists. BIPOC artists especially encouraged to apply.
Initial response to the Request for Qualifications (RFQ) with a letter of interest and examples of past work is due in October. Up to three finalists will be chosen for each opportunity and receive a $1,000 stipend to create and present a design to the selection panel. One artist or artist team for each opportunity will be chosen and awarded the commission to create and install their presented artwork.
Larger 3D piece on 8’ diameter pedestal, $45,000 budget
Smaller 3D piece on 40” diameter pedestal, $15,000 budget
Mural, 35’ high x 11’ wide, $20,000 budget
RFQ Submission Deadline: October 12, 2021, 4:59pm
Qualifications or requirements
• Artists may apply for either a 3D opportunity or the mural opportunity.
• Artists must live in the 7-County Twin Cities Metropolitan Area (Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott and Washington counties)
• Artists are not required to have previous public art experience, but will need to demonstrate and document ability to complete a permanent, outdoor project of this scale.
• Proposed artwork must be permanent and able to withstand Minnesota’s year-round weather conditions with minimal maintenance.
How to apply
• Read RFQ for complete background, details, eligibility and application process.
• Complete and compile requested items (bio, letter of interest, work samples, work samples list, artist info/demographics) to be sent as email attachments.
• Email all items as attachments to Jamie Marshall at firstname.lastname@example.org