Assistant Professor of Graphic Design / Digital Media
City: La Crosse, WI
Salary: Approx. $50,000-$60,000 / yr.
Is this a remote / WFH position?: No
The Department of Art in the School of Visual and Performing Arts, part of the College of Arts, Social Sciences, and Humanities at the University of Wisconsin – La Crosse invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin August 2021.
The successful candidate for this position will be an artist/designer/educator with strong collaboration and communication skills who is committed to teaching excellence and to maintaining an active undergraduate program. The candidate should have a thorough grounding in two-dimensional design skills and should be able to articulate the interrelationships of traditional and emerging technologies along with the History of Art and Design in their practice and pedagogy.
The graphic design program at UWL has seen tremendous growth in the last four years and recently developed an interdisciplinary Digital Media and Design Minor. The department seeks a dynamic and flexible colleague to collaborate in building an innovative curriculum that integrates a wide range of media and technologies from publication, interactive design, large format and 3-D printing.
The Department of Art at UWL is a thriving and diverse community of artists, educators, engaged community members and cultural influencers with world-wide artistic reach, resonance, and recognition. The department houses programs/courses in Art Education, Art History, Blacksmithing, Ceramics, Drawing, Graphic Design, Metalsmithing, Painting, Photography, Printmaking, and Sculpture. We seek a colleague who is an accomplished artist, has professional experience in graphic design, and demonstrates a commitment to inclusive teaching excellence as well as to the goals of the Department of Art and the University. The Graphic’s lab/studio is located on the first floor in the Center for the Arts building. We have 23 iMac desktop computers with the Adobe Creative Suit software, a 90” display monitor (perfect for class demonstrations), a 6 color Epson inkjet printer, Xerox office printer and a new Large format HP Printer near the back of the studio.
● Teach across the curriculum including: Introductory/Intermediate/Advanced Graphic Design, Graphic Design for Non-Majors, Design Foundations, and/or General Education as assigned by department chair
● Develop Curriculum
● Engage in a robust program of creative endeavors/scholarship in the discipline of art & design
● Continually developing skills in emerging technologies in graphic design
● Participate in the recruitment and advising of students in the Art program consistent with the goal to build and sustain the program
● Service to the department/university
● Coordination and maintenance of graphic design studio
● General Education course offerings
Candidates from diverse backgrounds and those who have experience working with diverse populations are particularly encouraged to apply. Academic year salary is set by the Dean’s Office and includes excellent fringe benefits and insurance programs.
General position summary statement for UWL faculty positions:
Under general supervision of department chair, a person in this position is responsible for teaching undergraduate and/or graduate courses, and advising students. In addition to preparing for and holding classes [face-to-face, hybrid, and/or online], teaching involves maintaining currency in the content area related to the teaching assignment, evaluating students’ work, assessing student outcomes, maintaining appropriate records, and holding office hours. The individual is expected to maintain an active, on-going program of scholarship appropriate to the discipline. In addition, this individual will provide service to the department, college, and university and is likely expected to provide service to the community and/or the profession. Other duties may be assigned by the chair or dean.
Qualifications or requirements
● Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Graphic Design or equivalent degree in graphic design or closely related field
● Established academic or professional career with promise of development, and nationally or internationally recognized research and/or creative scholarship
● College-level teaching experience
● Full time college-level teaching experience
● Expertise in Graphic Design print media, design for electronic media (including web design), and Adobe Creative Suite
● Experience with 2D and 3D motion graphics
● Experience with community outreach and recruiting activities
● Experience in the graphic design field as a working professional
● Experience with digital art in various media and as a form of artistic expression
● Demonstrated commitment to an inclusive and rigorous learning environment
How to apply
For full application instructions, see the job posting on the UWL website.