Assistant Stage Manager
City: Minneapolis, MN
Salary: $34,216.00 – $59,737.60 per year
Organization website: music.umn.edu
Direct link to apply: http://www1.umn.edu/ohr/employment/
Is this a remote / work from home position?: No, this is a site-based position
Assistant Stage Manager is an hourly position that is primarily responsible for the stage management of designated events in the Ted Mann Concert Hall in the School of Music at the University of Minnesota. The individual in this position reports to the Operations Coordinator and is supervised by the Technical Coordinator. This position works with faculty, staff, students, external customers and outside professionals to provide the best services possible for productions in the concert hall or other School of Music venues.
Duties: This is an hourly year-round position with a variable schedule that includes evening and weekend hours and occasional overtime. The schedule is to be arranged in consultation with the supervisor.
Major Duties Include:
(65%) Stage Manage designated events in the Ted Mann Concert Hall and auxiliary spaces.
• Supervise Stage Crew and oversee all operational logistics before, during and after events.
• Supervise and facilitate renters in their production needs for their events through effective communication.
• Coordinate production information and relevant changes with other staff and stage crew.
• Arrange and facilitate the security and placement of concert hall equipment (towers, pianos, curtains, etc.)
• Oversee the operation of lighting board, follow spots, fly system, stage lifts and any other resident equipment during set up, strike, and events. Prepare to step in to substitute all crew positions as necessary.
• Arrange for security and placement of stage properties; stores and maintains properties and equipment.
• Direct crew in the safe and effective operation of all stage equipment and in proper performance procedures. Follow accident report procedures.
• Make routine and emergency repairs to properties and equipment.
• Serve as a lead in emergency situations in the hall.
• Secure building after events according to established procedures.
• Document event in show report communicating any concerns or issues that should be addressed.
• Fill in stage/lighting event billing information on the online form after each event.?
(25%) Participate in the technical operations of the facility.
• Assist the Technical Coordinator with the technical operation of the Ted Mann Concert Hall and Ferguson Hall for performances and other events (concerts, recitals, opera, lectures, seminars, conferences, recording sessions, rehearsals, etc.)
• Assist with general maintenance and organization of spaces in Ted Mann and Ferguson Hall.
• Participate and supervise student workers in the set-up, clean-up and maintenance of facility
(10%) Other Duties
• Assist the Technical Coordinator with the training and supervision of the 4-10 member (student and non-student) stage crews and provide feedback of their work performance.
• Direct Stage Crew in safe and effective operation of all stage equipment and in proper performance procedures.
• Assist other team members to accomplish their goals.
Qualifications or requirements
Essential Qualifications: Some college experience in technical theatre or relevant professional theatre experience to total 3 years. Equivalent combinations of academic and work experience in a related field may be substituted for the degree. Training in carpentry and electrical trades or the equivalent in experience; computer skills (MicroSoft Office); ability to lift 50 pounds; ability to climb and operate effectively on ladders, personal lifts, catwalks and grids. Must be able to work as part of a team and have good communication skills.
Preferred Qualifications: A Degree in technical theatre with production emphasis, or a combination of education and professional experience to total 5 years. Extensive experience in all aspects of technical theatre, including stage management, lighting, rigging and design; supervisory and training experience; strong interpersonal skills; ability to remain calm under pressure; ability to work with a diverse client base; ability to work in a team environment; strong organizational and record-keeping skills; ability to multi-task.
How to apply
Applicants must apply online through the University of Minnesota: http://www1.umn.edu/ohr/employment/ The posting number for the position is 305674. To be considered for this position, please click the “Apply” button and follow the instructions. You will have an opportunity to complete an online application for the position and to attach a cover letter and resume.