Associate House Manager
City: Minneapolis, MN
Salary: $35,608 – $44510 per year
Organization website: https://www.guthrietheater.org/
Direct link to apply: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/GUT1000/JobBoard/47c392e4-6d7f-1e47-226b-ee862ea48cfb/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=21863c77-2f9e-4a28-8381-c4031a3cdd74
Is this a remote / work from home position?: No, this is a site-based position
Reports to: House Manager
The Guthrie Theater engages exceptional theater artists in the exploration of both classic and contemporary plays connecting the community we serve to one another and to the world. Through its extraordinary artists, staff and facility, the Guthrie is committed to the people of Minnesota, and from its place, rooted deeply in the Twin Cities, influences the field as a leading 21st century arts organization.
Every year more than 500 people, both on stage and off, help ensure our success in creating and supporting the highest level of theater. As an organization, we are committed to our values of Artistic Excellence; Community; Equity, Diversity and Inclusion; and Fiscal Responsibility.
The Guthrie Theater would like to acknowledge that we gather on the traditional land of the Dakota People and honor with gratitude the land itself and the people who have stewarded it throughout the generations, including the Ojibwe and other Indigenous nations.
The Associate House Manager works closely with the House Manager to ensure the smooth operation of the house and lobbies before, during and after all performances and special events. This role is responsible for ensuring the houses open and performances start on time while maintaining patron comfort, patron safety and the highest level of customer service. The Associate House Manager will hire and directly supervise all part-time and seasonal ushers and work with the Audience Services Coordinator to train these staff members. Reporting to the House Manager, this role works collaboratively with the Audience Services Coordinator and Box Office, Production, Guest Services and Facilities staff. All employees are expected to center, model and champion the Guthrie’s core values of Artistic Excellence; Community; Equity, Diversity and Inclusion; and Fiscal Responsibility.
This position is full-time, exempt and benefits-eligible. Compensation for this position is $35,608 – $44,510 annually plus benefits. The typical schedule for this role is Wednesday – Sunday, 2:00 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.
The Guthrie is dedicated to building an equitable environment that is mixed across lines of difference and strongly encourages applications from Black, Indigenous, People of Color, women, transgender and non-binary candidates.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Operations Management
• Work with the House Manager to oversee the theater lobbies and theater houses prior to, during and following performances. At times this work may be done independent of the House Manager.
• Work with Box Office and the Stage Manager to coordinate opening and closing the house, handing over the house, late seating or any reseating necessary.
• Brief volunteers and event staff regarding their roles for a performance or event.
• Monitor and assure smooth lobby traffic and seating of patrons.
• Address patron and usher issues; work with other staff (Security, Box Office, Stage Management) for resolution as needed.
• Prepare and distribute end of show house reports detailing the audience numbers for that performance as well as any audience issues.
• Inform the House Manager and Audience Services Coordinator of staffing needs.
• Communicate relevant organizational information to part-time and seasonal staff.
• Assist the House Manager with departmental meetings, in collaboration with the Audience Services Coordinator.
• Understand and follow all safety protocols, implement theater’s emergency plan if required and respond effectively to emergency situations.
• Complete other duties as assigned.
2. Stakeholder Management
• Provide exceptional customer service to patrons. Take every possible step to ensure that customers have a welcoming and positive experience, even in difficult situations. Handle issues in an equitable, professional, and courteous manner.
• Model a polite and professional demeanor when interacting with customers and colleagues.
• Provide guests with accurate, up-to-date information about the Guthrie’s productions, programs and building.
• Share themes and feedback from audience/patrons with the House Manager.
3. Financial Management
• Assist in managing the departmental budget by ensuring staffing levels stay within identified guidelines.
4. Talent Management
• Work collaboratively with Human Resources and the Audience Services Coordinator on hiring part-time and seasonal staff.
• Monitor and track training completion of all part-time and seasonal staff, and inform the Audience Services Coordinator of training completion.
• Lead, manage, supervise and motivate the part-time and seasonal staff and volunteers.
• Complete monthly check-ins with all direct reports.
• Coach and develop part-time staff members by monitoring employee productivity and providing constructive feedback; facilitating conflict resolution among employees; ensuring adherence to legal and organizational policies and procedures and undertaking disciplinary actions if the need arises; and completing annual performance evaluations.
• Maintain and approve direct report timesheets, time off requests and other personnel records.
5. Strategy Management
• Foster a work environment incorporating the Guthrie values of Artistic Excellence; Community; Equity, Diversity and Inclusion; and Fiscal Responsibility.
• Audit current processes and practices to identify areas for improvement for areas of focus, and ensure documentation is updated as needed.
Qualifications or requirements
• Demonstrated experience supervising, training and motivating a team.
• Demonstrated experience in house management.
• Experience in working with different types of audiences.
• Exceptional customer service skills with the ability to efficiently and effectively resolve issues, frequently in a time-sensitive environment.
• Takes initiative, exercises independent judgement and works collaboratively within a team and across departments.
• Remains calm in demanding situations.
• Collaborates effectively to achieve common goals, be a strong team player, and to contribute energy, creativity and enthusiasm.
• Seeks innovative solutions to improve systems, process and future planning.
• Working knowledge of performing arts organizations.
• Experience in Microsoft Office products preferred.
• Experience, ability, and commitment to working with individuals and teams that are mixed across lines of difference such as race, gender-identity, sexual orientation, religion, ability, age, class and immigrant status.
• Must be willing and able to work flexible hours/days, including evenings and weekends, reflective of the dynamic schedule of the theater.
For the safety of our guests and staff, the Guthrie Theater requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Documentation of vaccination status must be provided if an offer of employment is made.
How to apply
Applicants must submit the following to be considered for the position:
• Cover letter