Box Office Specialist
City: Minneapolis, MN
Salary: $15.62 per hour
Organization website: https://www.guthrietheater.org/
Direct link to apply: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/GUT1000/JobBoard/47c392e4-6d7f-1e47-226b-ee862ea48cfb/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=15dcf39a-65ed-4bba-b798-248a0bbfe249
Is this a remote / work from home position?: No, this is a site-based position
Reports to: Associate Box Office Manager
The Guthrie Theater engages exceptional theater artists in the exploration of both classic and contemporary plays connecting the community we serve to one another and to the world. Through its extraordinary artists, staff and facility, the Guthrie is committed to the people of Minnesota, and from its place, rooted deeply in the Twin Cities, influences the field as a leading 21st century arts organization.
Every year more than 500 people, both on stage and off, help ensure our success in creating and supporting the highest level of theater. As an organization, we are committed to our values of Artistic Excellence; Community; Equity, Diversity and Inclusion; and Fiscal Responsibility.
The Guthrie Theater would like to acknowledge that we gather on the traditional land of the Dakota People and honor with gratitude the land itself and the people who have stewarded it throughout the generations, including the Ojibwe and other Indigenous nations.
The Box Office Specialist provides excellent customer service to all internal and external stakeholders of the Guthrie. This position supports and is cross-trained in box office operations, including season ticket processing, service counter, windows and phone sales. Box Office Specialists will be familiar with front of house as part of the Audience Services team. All employees are expected to center, model and champion the Guthrie’s core values of Artistic Excellence; Equity, Diversity and Inclusion; Community; and Fiscal Responsibility.
This position is part-time (up to 25 hours per week) and non-exempt. Compensation for this position is $15.62 per hour. This position’s hours are reflective of the dynamic schedule of the theater. A minimum of 4 shifts per week are required, including weekends; shifts available include day and evening hours.
The Guthrie is dedicated to building an equitable environment that is mixed across lines of difference and strongly encourages applications from Black, Indigenous, People of Color, women, transgender and non-binary candidates. This position will remain open until filled and until a diverse and qualified pool of candidates is identified. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Operations Support
• Cross trained in multiple areas in the Box Office and able to work independently and within the team.
• Staff Level Four Service Counter during run of shows and operate radio.
• Follow all established procedures in Box Office operations with the ability to process all orders and work within all Audience Services areas: single tickets sales, season ticket processing, window, rush line, and service counter.
• Assist with processing of gift certificate, special sales and database maintenance.
• Assist Season Ticket and Group Sales manager as requested.
• Assist in assembly of Box Office mailings.
2. Stakeholder Support
• Provide exceptional customer service, taking every possible step to ensure that customers have a positive experience.
• Become familiar with the Guthrie, theater houses, productions, special performances, offerings, and building highlights in order to share information with internal and external customers and guests accurately.
• Use knowledge, skills, and judgment to assist customers, seeking help if something is unclear or requires additional input/assistance. Include supervisor as needed.
• Solve customer service inquiries or issues, in adherence with Guthrie ticketing policies, when issues arise before or during a performance while maintaining excellent customer service and composure.
• At service counter, work autonomously with Front of House staff and Security to resolve patron issues or concerns as needed.
3. Financial Support
• Follow established procedures for money-handling transactions.
• Maintain all security and credit card standards in processing of credit card sales.
• Process quick cash sales and accurately provide change.
• Accurately reconcile daily shift transactions.
4. Talent Support
• Assist in the training of new part-time staff by serving as a shadow shift staff.
5. Strategy Support
• Actively participate in meetings, activities and trainings.
• Foster a work environment incorporating the Guthrie values of Artistic Excellence; Community; Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion; and Fiscal Responsibility.
• Complete other duties as assigned.
Qualifications or requirements
• Demonstrated customer service experience required. Prior Box Office experience preferred.
• Demonstrated experience with a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system or electronic ticketing system; Tessitura experience preferred
• Present a polite and professional demeanor when interacting with customers and colleagues
• Demonstrated ability to maintain composure under stressful situations.
• Must be willing and able to work flexible hours/days, including evenings and weekends, reflective of the dynamic schedule of the theater.
• Demonstrated ability to concentrate effectively in a busy environment.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in person, over the phone and via radio.
• Ability to follow all emergency procedures.
• Experience, ability, and commitment to working with individuals and teams that are mixed across lines of difference such as race, gender-identity, sexual orientation, religion, ability, age, class and immigrant status.
For the safety of our guests and staff, the Guthrie Theater requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Documentation of vaccination status must be provided if an offer of employment is made.
How to apply
Applicants must submit a resume to be considered for the position: