City: Minneapolis, MN
Salary: Depends on qualifications
Reports to: Director of Facilities
The Guthrie Theater engages exceptional theater artists in the exploration of both classic and contemporary plays connecting the community we serve to one another and to the world. Through its extraordinary artists, staff and facility, the Guthrie is committed to the people of Minnesota, and from its place, rooted deeply in the Twin Cities, influences the field as a leading 21st century arts organization.
Every year more than 500 people, both on stage and off, help ensure our success in creating and supporting the highest level of theater. As an organization, we are committed our values of Artistic Excellence, Community, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and Fiscal Responsibility.
The Building Engineer works with the Director of Facilities and other staff members to ensure that building maintenance requirements are met. This position is full-time, hourly and non-exempt.
1. Building Maintenance
• Maintain the Guthrie property to ensure the building is functioning properly.
• Assist in maintaining boilers, chillers, and all other equipment related to HVAC throughout the building.
• Assist the Director of Facilities with managing space temperatures.
• Assist the Director of Facilities with the building automation system.
• Assist in daily water chemical treatment testing.
• Proactively monitor light bulbs in the building and maintain lightbulb inventory.
• Perform specialty cleaning projects throughout the building.
• Complete assigned maintenance work orders distributed by the Director of Facilities.
• Assist the Director of Visitor Services in maintaining patron comfort and safety.
• Assist in safety and security management to ensure safe and secure conditions.
• Maintain fire codes and fire extinguishers and assist with testing of equipment.
• Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications or requirements
• Five years of experience in building maintenance in a large and complex building.
• Ability and commitment to working with diverse groups in terms of gender expression, race, sexual orientation, religion, ability, age, class and immigrant status.
• First Class C Boilers license required.
• Facilities Maintenance Electrical License preferred, or willingness to be certified.
• Experience with general carpentry and woodworking a plus.
• Experience with plumbing repair preferred.
• Mechanical aptitude.
• Ability to work independently.
• Ability to solve problems and work effectively with a variety of departments.
• Ability to manage multiple priorities to ensure work is completed in a timely manner.
• Knowledge of and ability to use the computer and other technical resources in order to accomplish work.
• Ability to communicate effectively.
• Supervisory experience a plus.
How to apply
Applicants must submit the following to be considered for the position:
• Cover letter
• References (3 total)
The Guthrie is dedicated to building a culturally diverse and equitable environment and strongly encourages applications from people of color and women. This position will remain open until filled and until a diverse and qualified pool of candidates is identified. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply.