Council Chamber Art Project (RFQ)
City: Saint Paul, MN
Salary: $3,000.00 for finished artwork
CALL FOR ARTISTS/DESIGN TEAMS
Council Chamber Art Project
Deadline: September 23, 2019
For full description, requirements, background and submission information see the website link before applying.
Ramsey County Historical Society, (RCHS) on behalf of Ramsey County and the City of Saint Paul, is issuing the following call for artists to create new artwork that celebrates the people and progress of Saint Paul. There are expected to be four pieces of art created and artists will be paid $3,000 per piece.
Call for Artists
Artists/Artist-led teams are hereby invited to submit qualifications to be considered as finalists for the creation of new art to add to the St. Paul City Hall/Ramsey County Courthouse council chambers.
With this public art opportunity, RCHS seeks to diversify the voices engaged in the community’s public art presence. RCHS encourages all artists to apply. We encourage artists or teams of artists led by, or inclusive of, a person who self identifies as a person of color or Indigenous (POCI) to respond to the call for artists.
The goal of the project is to commission four new pieces of two-dimensional art that can be enlarged and reproduced at a larger scale for exhibition in the Council Chambers. This installation may be supplemented by the additional exhibition of the new, original artwork in the council chambers. The new artwork will be installed on a rotating basis, with two new pieces installed concurrently alongside two of the existing John Norton pieces.
Qualifications or requirements
Eligibility – see website for more information
• Applicants may be individuals or teams; each applicant or applicant team must be led by an experienced visual artist
• Applicants must provide all required information, including providing a portfolio of previously created two-dimensional artwork for consideration by the task force
• RCHS, Ramsey County, and City of St. Paul employees, elected officials, and board members are ineligible to apply
• It is strongly desired that the applicants be residents of the East-metro region of Minnesota, but this is not a requirement
How to apply
Required Submission Materials (in digital format only) – see website for more information
Please provide the following information in 12-point font; In ONE SINGLE PDF DOCUMENT:
• Contact information for lead artist and each team member
• Three references (contact information only) for recently completed projects
• Up to two-page letter describing your interest in the project and your approach to the design
• One-page biographical information and/or resume for each team member
• One-page list of work samples being submitted
• Please provide up to 12 separate digital images of your recent and relevant projects.
• Each image file should not exceed 1 MB.
• Teams are limited to 12 images maximum
• Do not include multiple images in one file
• Save all images as standard JPEG
• Label each with applicant’s or team member’s full name
• Number each image in sequence corresponding with list of work samples
• Example: John Doe_Image1
In addition to meeting eligibility requirements, selection of finalists will be based on the following criteria:
• Quality of letter in describing how you will approach the project.
• Artistic merit of work samples, and appropriateness of the samples to the project
• Ability of finalist or finalists’ team to successfully create the desired artwork based on application materials provided, within the time stated.
For finalists, design concepts presented in the interview must meet the following criteria:
• Conveys goals and embodies the themes of the project
• Conveys artistic excellence and has a broad appeal
Please submit all materials via email to: Robyn Priestley (email@example.com)
Incomplete applications may not be considered.