City: Roseville, MN
Salary: $15.00 – $20.00 / hr.
Is this a remote / WFH position?: No
Under the direction & supervision of the Dance Coordinator and Recreation Superintendent, the Dance Instructor will teach dance skills, interpret curriculum and choreograph dances.
Scope of Responsibility:
This position is responsible for teaching dance skills to Roseville School of Dance participants. Instructors responsible for all aspects of designated class including: teaching dance skills, preparing class outlines, choosing music and choreographing recital dances,and attending and helping run the annual spring recital. Classes are held Monday-Thursday evenings and Saturdays. Instructors teach an average of 4 hours per week depending on interest and experience level. Additional times scheduled for picture day and recital preparations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
– Teach dance classes using age & ability appropriate skills.
– Use appropriate classroom management skills
– Use age appropriate language and music to teach class, leading with a positive attitude
– Dress properly for the type of class you are teaching
– Provide advance notice if unable to teach class. In the event of a needed absence, find a replacement and notify coordinator
– Assist in choosing recital costumes/wear
– Lead in a professional & courteous manner with the highest regard to the customer
– Attend required staff meetings designated by Dance Coordinator
– Lead in the planning, choreography and execution of dance performances for recital
– Work as a team player with co-workers & in conjunction with other programs
– Record weekly attendance
– Remain in communication with coordinator/supervisors.
– Perform all job tasks within the rules & guidelines of the department’s safety program
– Perform other duties and assume other responsibilities as assigned or apparent
Qualifications or requirements
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
– Comprehension of Ballet, Jazz, Tap & Lyrical techniques & styles (hip hop if applicable)
– Ability to communicate effectively with parents
– Ability to relate to others in a professional manner and to teach each child at their level
– Practice the principles of exceptional customer service, supporting the dance community and acting as a link between coordinator and daily dance classes
– Exhibit good safety awareness & judgement
– Excellent oral & written communication skills
– The City of Roseville is dedicated to promoting diversity and inclusion in our workforce. The City seeks to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to work. We are focused on equity and believe that diversity brings a unique and important perspective to the work we do. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
– Ability to plan, organize & lead dance programs
– High School diploma or equivalent
– At least 1 years experience instructing dance programs as a lead
Physical Demands & Working Conditions:
Roseville Parks and Recreation Dance Instructor generally works indoors at various designated buildings. The position requires high attention to detail 50-75% of the time and moderate physical effort 100 % of the time.