Call for Public Art (RFP)
City: Eden Prairie, MN
Salary: $1,000 stipend
Accepting sculpture, mural work, installations, projection, and other outdoor public art!
As part of a continued commitment to highlight original works of art throughout the community, the City of Eden Prairie is seeking projects created by Minnesota artists for public display from June 2019 through May 2020. Artists retain ownership and loan pieces to the City for the 11-month period, and artwork must be appropriate for Minnesota’s extreme weather. Selected artists are paid a $1,000 stipend to exhibit their work, and coordinate with the City staff on specific site selection and installation.
Background and Project Description
Providing a public venue for exhibiting and viewing artwork supports the City’s vision by adding richness to the environment while building an appreciation for public art in our community.
Secure display platforms are available at the Art Center, Outdoor Center and Purgatory Creek Park. Additional exhibition locations may include the Senior Center, Minnesota River Vista overlook and tunnel, and more.
Proposals are reviewed by City staff and commission members, and are chosen based on artistic merit, safety, durability and relationship to the site.
Qualifications or requirements
Artists must reside in Minnesota, have the ability to deliver the artwork, install work, and de-install work and have the tools to do so or work with the City for special requests. Artist must also provide insurance for the work.
Any artwork submitted must be able to withstand the extreme weather of MN, as it will be outdoors for all four seasons with little to no maintenance. Please make sure your work is appropriate for public, outdoor display. Seasonal projects may be considered, but the artist must discuss relevancy to citizens (for example, a rooftop pollinator garden could transform into X in the winter).
How to apply
Please include the following information with your application
• Two high-quality digital images of each submitted artwork (videos no longer than 1 minute may also be submitted in lieu of digital images)
• Statement describing each submitted artwork including materials and process
• Artist résumé and brief statement about submitted work(s)
• Installation requirements and specs for each submitted artwork
Please submit materials to: ArtSubmissions@edenprairie.org
If digital attachments are too large to email, please send a link through a secure file-transfer program such as WeTransfer to ArtSubmissions@edenprairie.org, and note this in your submission email.
• Artists may submit more than one public artwork proposal for consideration, not to exceed three total pieces
• Artists must provide the materials and/or equipment and be able to install and disassemble any selected artwork for the exhibition period and have the resources to do so
• Artists must provide proof of insurance for the artwork