Editorial Content Developer
City: Minneapolis, MN
Salary: $50,912.57 – $92,552.07 annually
Is this a remote / WFH position?: No
Write and edit content for communications channels – 50%
• Identifies and capitalizes on opportunities for reinforcing key College messages and themes via college communications channels.
• Develops “persona(s)” and practices that increase engagement with large and diverse audiences for all units of the College.
• Writes, edits and proofreads the majority of the college’s written content, from internal news briefs to promotional copy to long-form feature-length stories for external audiences.
• Contributes writing and editing skills to various electronic newsletters.
• Follows University and College style guide(s) and practices.
• Attends University story-sharing meetings to promote College news with other University editors.
• Creates and updates editorial standards for use throughout the College.
Serve as managing editor for various print publications projects – 20%
• Works with the Director of Advancement and unit supervisors to identify and conceptualize content for various audiences.
• Establishes and manages project budgets and timelines.
• Evaluates performance of printed materials against established communications goals.
Conducts media relations for the College of Veterinary Medicine – 15%
• Serves as a point of contact for news media searching for expert comments on stories involving veterinary medicine.
• Coordinates proactive media relations with University Relations staff and the College’s research communications position.
• Identifies and creates content well-suited for media relations that advances the College’s missions.
Supervisor – 10%
• Identifies and contracts with a variety of freelance writers, copy editors, illustrators and graphic designers to assign projects, and edit submissions to meet communications goals, and University and College style and branding requirements.
• Recruits and hires student interns who write and edit content for College publications.
• Trains others within the College in areas of expertise.
Contributes multimedia content to College channels – 5%
• Takes photographs and/or shoots video that supports written content for the College’s publications, websites, social media, and email newsletters.
• at events for college publications and other communications.
• Staffs freelance-led photo shoots to ensure that resulting images fit project needs, and that University standards and procedures are followed.
About the Department
Maintaining an attractive and consistent graphic identity and editorial style is important to the credibility and reputation of any organization. Making sure that its unique messages are communicated accurately is vital.
These are the responsibilities of CVM Communications, a team ready to partner with you for your communications needs. Our staff is dedicated to creating and maintaining the University’s visual image, working with you to deliver solutions tailored to the specific needs of your office, audience, and budget while upholding the University’s brand standards.
CVM Communications is committed to building broad appreciation and active support for the University of Minnesota through the people and work of the College of Veterinary Medicine. Our team leads the active management of the communications plan that supports the strategic goals of the CVM. On behalf of the College, CVM Communications delivers several areas of expertise:
Acts as a central contact point for internal and external inquiries into the CVM. Leads special projects and facilitates the distribution of print and electronic communications.
Coordinates opportunities that support the CVM’s educational, research, and outreach mission; offers event planning counsel; and helps implement a variety of internal and external initiatives.
Editorial and creative services
Provides writing, editing, design, photography, and Web content development services for CVM departments, centers, and services. Coordinates CVM graphic standards.
Assists with legislative advocacy and provides support on issues management and communications tied to the CVM’s legislative priorities at the state and federal levels.
Works with members of the media to increase visibility, enhance the reputation, and highlight the expertise of CVM faculty. We respond to media requests for experts and provide media relations counsel and training.
Publishes CVM news & events, Profiles, and other internal and external print and electronic publications.
Provides public relations and affairs strategic planning and direction, issues management counsel, and support for interface with external stakeholders. Supports the CVM dean, department chairs, and directors, and works to create communications synergy between departmental initiatives and the overall goals and strategies of the CVM and University as a whole.
Maintains CVM Web pages and provides support for CVM department and center Web sites.
Qualifications or requirements
• BA/BS degree and four years of experience.
• Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills.
• Demonstrated experience in managing communications projects, budgets and contracts.
• Demonstrated multimedia skills, including Adobe Photoshop and iMovie skills.
• BA/BS degree in journalism, communications, marketing, public relations or related field plus four years of full-time professional experience writing and editing for organizational-level printed or electronic publications, or ten years combined equivalent education and experience.
• Two years of experience managing the production of printed or electronic publications.
• Advanced photographic and/or video skills as demonstrated by portfolio samples.
• Publication design experience, including Adobe InDesign skills.
• Writing and editing experience in an academic or health care organization.
• Experience as a project manager providing project planning, execution, evaluation and communications.
• Experience as a trainer in a communications or educational context.
How to apply
– Select the link to access position #337047 our careers site: https://hr.myu.umn.edu/jobs/ext/337047
– Review the job description and select the Apply button to begin your application.
Special Notice for COVID-19
The UMN has suspended hiring for most positions. However, we will continue hiring for positions critical to the University’s mission and operations at this time. Applications are being accepted for this position and you are encouraged to apply. In-person interviews are suspended indefinitely and will be replaced by interviews in a virtual format. Thank you for your continued interest in working at the University of Minnesota.
This position will remain open until filled.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail email@example.com or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu.
Background Check Information
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.