City: St. Paul, MN
Salary: $18,000-$22,000/year, DOQ
Is this a remote / work from home position?: Yes
The Executive Director plays an important role in an organization based on three equal pillars (in alphabetical order): artistic director-board-executive director, and ensures that the artistic director and the board are part of the decision process.
The ED assumes
• An internal role including overall strategic and organizational management to implement a shared vision of the organization, coordination between both board and artistic director, board management, financial and legal management, fund development and program management including coordination between BSM and its musicians/singers and crafting ways to realize artistic projects.
• An external role including public relations and marketing, collaboration and community relations including negotiating with artistic partners and government agencies, establishing contacts with donors, and representing BSM in public.
• Overall Strategic and Organizational Management – Work with artistic director and board to develop strategic and annual plans and ensure organizational capacity to implement the plans (including hiring and overseeing staff).
• Fund Development – Work collaboratively with board and artistic director to ensure availability of resources to implement the overall strategic plan. Work with board to develop and implement annual development plan. With staff grant consultant research foundation and government grant opportunities and deadlines, write proposals, and oversee management of grants received. Write/oversee distribution of individual donor appeals, maintain records of donations, thank donors and maintain donor database.
• Financial and Legal Management – Develop annual budget for board approval. Monitor budget and provide monthly reports to board. Pay expenses and record revenues according to accepted business practice. Pay musicians. Work with accountant to ensure accuracy of year-end financials. File federal and state employment and legal forms. Purchase liability insurance as required.
• Program Management – Provide logistical support for concert, with contracted operations manager. Handle all administrative tasks related to artistic and educational activities of BSM including concerts; oversee outreach coordinator for outreach programs. Contract with concert and rehearsal venues. Contract with musicians, communicate with musicians regarding program and rehearsal schedule, venues, fees, travel and lodging as needed. Print tickets, coordinate front of house for concerts, manage concert volunteers, contract for ASL interpreter if requested. Track measures for each program including audience, revenue, expense, audience satisfaction, etc.
• Public Relations/Marketing – oversee maintenance of website, management of publicity for concerts, and social media. Work with graphic designer to develop annual concert brochure, concert postcards and programs, and other media as needed. Coordinate printing of programs. Oversee press releases and written emails to publicize concerts.
• Collaboration/Community Relations – Develop and maintain good relations with venues, strategic partners, other arts organizations, public agencies and the media. Facilitate collaborations on local, national and international level.
• Board Management – Draft board agendas, create materials for board packets, attending all board meetings, working with Secretary to finalize and distribute minutes, welcoming/orienting new board members, and working with board and artistic director to identify new board members.
• Oversight and Management: Oversee contract employees: grant consultant, audience development associate, interns, associate artistic director, accountant and musicians.
Please note: due to the Covid-19 protocols BSM will be having a non-traditional season. We anticipate that the work involved this year will be less than in previous years as the season is substantially altered. Future seasons would see an increase in workload and in compensation.
Qualifications or requirements
• Excellent organizational skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Attention to detail and ability to look at big picture
• Self-disciplined and able to work with little supervision
• Excellent writing skills
• Ability to meet deadlines
• Passion for/knowledge of Baroque music and Baroque music performance practice
• Good computer skills
• Skill with Microsoft Office and Quickbooks
How to apply
Please email cover letter, three references and a CV to Andrea Leap at firstname.lastname@example.org