City: Minneapolis, MN
Salary: $51,000 plus benefits
Is this a remote / work from home position?: No
Title: General Manager
Reports To: Open Book Board of Directors
Employment Status: Full Time, Exempt
Salary: $51,000 plus benefits
Supervises: Contractors, volunteers, consultants
Open Book Mission
Founded in 2000, Open Book is a nonprofit organization with an annual operating budget of approximately $500,000. It is home to three founding tenant organizations: Milkweed Editions, The Loft Literary Center, and Minnesota Center for Book Arts. The mission of Open Book is to welcome and inspire a vibrant book community, to be a catalyst for artistic collaboration, to engage the broader community in book arts and the written and spoken word, and to provide a sustainable home for literary and book arts organizations.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the General Manager will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for Open Book’s rental activities, building maintenance, and the execution of its operations plan in partnership with and support of the founding partners.
Operations & Building Maintenance
· Serve as the liaison between Tenants and Open Book’s board.
· Alert the board of concerns that impact Open Book.
· Keep long-term maintenance schedules up-to-date, arrange for upkeep as needed and solve emergency situations such as plumbing, electrical, and HVAC failures.
· Provide oversight on all venders and supervise external contractors such as HVAC, janitorial, security, and snowplowing.
Leadership & Management
· Obtain and manage the financial, strategic, and human resources required in order to successfully execute Open Book’s annual operations plan.
· Promote and manage Open Book space rentals (both long-term business leases and short-term event rentals) providing high quality customer service, successfully converting potential business opportunities into confirmed bookings and meeting annual revenue goals.
· Facilitate and encourage opportunities for collaboration between the founding tenants and the broader literary community, when appropriate.
· Provide administrative support to the Board of Directors including serving as ex-officio on all Board committees, preparing board materials, and keeping master records of all minutes, by-laws, policies, and board related materials.
· Build awareness and raise the profile of Open Book, locally and nationally, by building brand identity and increasing visibility in the community.
· Serve as the primary liaison with the City of Minneapolis and the broader community.
· Promote the mission and vision of Open Book to constituencies and key stakeholders through a variety of communication vehicles including social media, print materials, and public speaking.
Planning and New Business
· Develop and implement both short/long term strategies to meet operation revenue goals in the areas of earned income (long-term tenant leases/event rentals) and contributed revenue for capital improvements.
· Develop and solicit new business rental opportunities needed to provide for the long-term sustainability and profitable operation of Open Book.
· Market and manage all aspects of day-rentals with an adherence to balancing the needs of Founding Partners and Open Book’s earned revenue goals.
· Ensure an annual audit is performed and 990 filed in partnership with Finance Committee.
· Track and act on nonprofit laws including sales tax exemptions and best practices as they impact Open Book.
· Work with Open Book’s accountant to keep all daily financial operations such as vendor payments and invoices on budget.
· Collaborate with Open Book’s Finance Committee to create an annual budget.
· Monitor and manage budgets for unique projects such as capital improvements and occasional restricted projects.
Qualifications or requirements
· Demonstrated leadership ability in executing strategy and strong financial management skills
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Proven team player
· Ability to work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders
· Experience with building maintenance and operations
· An exhibited passion for mission-driven, nonprofit organizations
· Commitment to an equitable and respectful work environment as well as excellent customer service