"Gifts in the Gallery" Sale Coordinator
City: Bloomington, MN
About Gifts in the Gallery
Artistry’s annual Gifts in the Gallery holiday sale is a boutique-style sale located in the beautiful Inez Greenberg Gallery in the Bloomington Center for the Arts, Bloomington, MN. This year’s sale runs December 4 – 18, 2019. A review panel will jury and select 50-60 local and regional artists to sell their high quality gifts.
The kickoff celebration, “A Festive Reception”, on December 4 opens the sale with live music, a cash bar, appetizers, and door prizes. Gifts in the Gallery will coincide with other events held in the Bloomington Center for the Arts, including the City of Bloomington’s popular indoor Farmers Market. There were more than 7,500 visits to the 2018 sale.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The contracted Gifts in the Gallery (GiG) Coordinator will oversee the planning, day-to-day operation, bookkeeping and fiscal reporting of Artistry’s annual holiday sale, Gifts in the Gallery. Specific duties will include, but are not limited to:
• Work closely with the Director of Visual Arts and review committee to select participating artists for the sale (50-60 artists).
• Contract and communicate with participating artists.
• Work with Volunteer Coordinator to recruit, train, and schedule between 30-40 volunteers who will assist with the set-up, merchandising, clean-up, and staffing of the sale.
• Staff the sale when necessary and be “on call” during its two week run (December 4 – 18) especially in the evenings and weekends during the sale.
• Record and reconcile daily sales transactions and track artists’ sales.
• Create individual artists’ Statement of Sales and check requests to bookkeeper for payment.
• Coordinate the clean-up and final reporting following the sale.
This position is contractual and the selected applicant will receive a $5,000 stipend to oversee the event and all required duties. Applicant must be flexible with scheduling and able to manage time wisely in order to oversee the event successfully. Selected applicant will work with the Director of Visual Arts to create a schedule from August – January with a majority of hours dedicated in the month of December. Applicant must be able to work evening and weekend hours during the sale (December 4 – 18).
Qualifications or requirements
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required. Knowledge of and experience in gift shop sales, art fairs, or other visual art sales events preferred. Management level experience desirable. Knowledge of local visual arts/art fair community desirable. Experience coordinating and working with volunteers desirable.
Skills/Abilities: Excellent oral and written communication skills; excellent customer service skills; math and computer proficiency and familiarity with the Microsoft Office suite (especially Word and Excel). Able to process basic cash transactions quickly. Able to lift and carry 30 pounds or more.
Attributes: Trustworthy and detail oriented; high energy, enthusiasm and a can-do attitude; resourcefulness; patience, flexibility, adaptability, and a collaborative nature; good sense of humor; thrives in a fast-paced and changing environment.
How to apply
Please submit a résumé and cover letter electronically to email@example.com by 5:00 p.m. July 15, 2019