City: Minneapolis, MN
Salary: $41,047 – $51,576 annually
Organization website: https://www.guthrietheater.org
Direct link to apply: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/GUT1000/JobBoard/47c392e4-6d7f-1e47-226b-ee862ea48cfb/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=26492554-3c04-40bf-a7a8-600222ed90b1
Is this a remote / work from home position?: No, this is a site-based position
Reports to: Writer and Creative Services Manager
The Guthrie Theater engages exceptional theater artists in the exploration of both classic and contemporary plays connecting the community we serve to one another and to the world. Through its extraordinary artists, staff and facility, the Guthrie is committed to the people of Minnesota, and from its place, rooted deeply in the Twin Cities, influences the field as a leading 21st century arts organization.
Every year more than 500 people, both on stage and off, help ensure our success in creating and supporting the highest level of theater. As an organization, we are committed to our values of Artistic Excellence; Community; Equity, Diversity and Inclusion; and Fiscal Responsibility.
The Guthrie Theater would like to acknowledge that we gather on the traditional land of the Dakota People and honor with gratitude the land itself and the people who have stewarded it throughout the generations, including the Ojibwe and other Indigenous nations.
The Graphic Designer works within the Creative Services team and in close collaboration with the Senior Graphic Designer to design engaging, high-quality print materials and digital graphics that align with the Guthrie’s brand standards, while supporting the goals of the Marketing Department and organization as well as upholding the Guthrie’s commitment to anti-racism, accessibility and equity. All employees are expected to center, model and champion the Guthrie’s core values of Artistic Excellence; Community; Equity, Diversity and Inclusion; and Fiscal Responsibility.
This position is full-time, exempt and benefits-eligible. Compensation for this position is $41,047 – $51,576 annually plus benefits. The typical schedule for this role will vary based on the dynamic schedule of a theater.
The Guthrie is dedicated to building an equitable environment that is mixed across lines of difference and strongly encourages applications from Black, Indigenous, People of Color, women, transgender and non-binary candidates. This position will remain open until filled and until a diverse and qualified pool of candidates is identified. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Graphic Design
• Conceptualize and design high-quality print materials and digital graphics in support of Guthrie productions and programming, including web/social, postcards, brochures, programs, guides, flyers, signage and more.
• Adhere to the Guthrie’s brand identity and visual standards.
• Collaborate with colleagues across the organization to conceive and design engaging print/digital graphics for numerous initiatives offstage, including work for other departments such as Development, Human Resources, Education, Professional Training and more.
• Work in black-and-white, two-color and four-color design, making adjustments for different kinds of paper (coated, newsprint, etc.) to produce a high-quality finished piece.
• Collaborate with the Director of Retail and Merchandising at the Guthrie Store to conceive and design branded and show-specific merchandise, displays, promotional materials and web graphics.
• Work in collaboration with team members to solicit, receive and incorporate design feedback to ensure each project meets the desired goals and reflects the Guthrie brand.
• Support the Senior Graphic Designer in maintaining and archiving the department’s design files.
• Collaborate with team members in an online project management system to track assignments, route proofs, receive feedback and meet project deadlines.
• Maintain a working knowledge of the Guthrie’s photography assets and make recommendations to refresh photography and capture new images.
• Support the Video and Photo Content Creator on photo and video shoots as needed.
• Actively participate in Marketing Department strategy sessions to brainstorm and develop marketing campaigns in support of Guthrie productions and programming.
• Foster a work environment of Artistic Excellence; Community; Equity, Diversity and Inclusion; and Fiscal Responsibility.
• Complete other duties as assigned.
Qualifications or requirements: • Experience in graphic design required. Formal, informal and cross-disciplinary experiences will be considered.
• Strong knowledge of graphic layout principles, aesthetic design concepts and photographic requirements and procedures, including resizing, retouching and color balancing images.
• Proficiency in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator.
• Knowledge of other Adobe Creative Suite applications (After Effects, Premiere Pro) and Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint is preferred.
• Knowledge and understanding of both Mac and Windows-based computers.
• Understands graphic standards, interprets brand guidelines and uses them creatively and effectively to keep the theater’s visual branding consistent.
• Creates and produces graphics using a range of media, methods and equipment.
• Designs within a budget and makes cost-saving suggestions to keep print materials affordable.
• Knowledge of digital production and creating assets, including motion graphics, for responsive web design, email, social and interactive PDFs.
• Skill in preparing digital files, including using Pantone books, specifying colors in design software, collecting digital files and managing basic prepress details to avoid printing errors.
• Knowledge of printing processes, techniques, procedures and requirements.
• Works with printers to ensure that quality printed materials are delivered on time.
• Awareness of industry trends, with a keen eye for design, typography and image selection.
• Possess strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
• Excels in a fast-paced, high-volume, deadline-driven environment.
• Communicates effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Coordinates multiple projects and manages conflicting priorities in order to provide graphic design services to the entire organization.
• Experience, ability and commitment to working with individuals and teams that are mixed across lines of difference, such as race, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, ability, age, class and immigrant status.
• Must be willing and able to work flexible hours/days, reflective of the dynamic schedule of a theater.
How to apply
A NOTE FROM HUMAN RESOURCES
For the safety of our guests and staff, the Guthrie Theater requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Documentation of vaccination status must be provided if an offer of employment is made.
Applicants must submit the following to be considered for the position:
• Cover letter