Individual Giving Coordinator
City: Minneapolis, MN
Salary: Depends on qualifications
The Guthrie Theater engages exceptional theater artists in the exploration of both classic and contemporary plays connecting the community we serve to one another and to the world. Through its extraordinary artists, staff and facility, the Guthrie is committed to the people of Minnesota, and from its place, rooted deeply in the Twin Cities, influences the field as a leading 21st century arts organization.
Every year more than 500 people, both on stage and off, help ensure our success in creating and supporting the highest level of theater. As an organization, we are committed to our values of Artistic Excellence, Community, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and Fiscal Responsibility.
Reporting to the Director of Individual Giving, the Individual Giving Coordinator plays a critical role in donor cultivation and stewardship efforts. The Coordinator works as a member of the Individual Giving and Major Gifts team, supporting projects that help reach departmental fundraising goals.
The priorities of this position are to personally cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of Guthrie individual supporters, directly supporting development team efforts to create and implement successful moves management and fundraising plans for individual giving. The Individual Giving Coordinator manages the Guthrie Circle program and other donor programs as requested and assists the Director of Individual Giving in the design and implementation of the Producer Program. This position works regularly with a dedicated, thoughtful Guthrie Board of Directors, donors and Guthrie staff and is visible within the Twin Cities’ social and arts communities.
1. Individual Giving
• Responsible to cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of Guthrie individual supporters.
• Makes 5 – 10 weekly contacts with prospective and current donors through in-person meetings, phone, and email seeking to advance their relationships with the theater.
• Prepare and participate in prospect management plans, case materials and other documentation for donor meetings.
• Initiate, cultivate and sustain personal relationships with prospective, new and long term donors through member introductions and from within the pool of Guthrie patrons.
• Collaborate with volunteers to enhance community engagement and outreach strategy development efforts.
• With the guidance of the Director of Individual Giving, personally tailor stewardship and recognition opportunities for Guthrie Circle (TGC) Members and Producers.
• Direct, support and participate with the planning and implementation of annual fund activities.
• Provide annual fund progress reports to key stakeholders.
2. Guthrie Circle Program/Donor Programming
• Manage the Guthrie Circle program, communicating benefits clearly, creating a collegial environment in an effort to retain and increase support.
• Using best practices and a multi-channel approach, strategize appropriate solicitation and communications to Guthrie Circle members.
• Manage Tessitura “plans” for an assigned portfolio of donors, strategizing with the Director appropriate “steps” for effective moves management.
• Perform the role of Tessitura “portfolio” manager for all Individual “plans”, ensuring clean and cohesive actions are taken for all patrons throughout the fiscal year cycle.
• Create donor materials including solicitation letters, brochures, buck slips, one-sheets, newsletters, benefit materials, invitations and various recognition gifts.
• Support donor events and trips as requested.
• Re-energize and coordinate the work of the Guthrie Circle committee.
• Fulfill donor benefits and track recognition.
• Assist the Director of Individual Giving in the design and implementation of the Producer Program ($10,000 and above).
3. Administration and Donor Lounge Support
• Serve as staff host for the Kitchak Donor Lounge, meeting and greeting donors who attend performances.
• Write and maintain contact reports in Tessitura for appropriate donor tracking.
• Provide gift entry and acknowledgement support to the Development Database Associate.
• Utilize Tessitura “plans” to track progress and prospects.
• Pulling reports and lists from Tessitura as needed or requested.
Qualifications or requirements
• 2 + years of experience in a non-profit development position or similar sales/customer service role.
• Commitment to working with diverse groups in terms of gender expression, race, sexual orientation, religion, ability, age, class and immigrant status.
• Background or interest in performing arts, especially theater, a plus.
• B.A./B.S. preferred.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills.
• A positive attitude and outgoing personality, excellent manners and a warm and professional demeanor.
• Ability to solve problems with creativity and efficiency.
• Exemplary attention to detail.
• Ability to collaborate or work independently to set priorities and manage multiple projects, within and outside the department.
• Ability to work flexibly in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a sound perspective.
• Availability to work nights and weekends at events or in the Kitchak Lounge as required, and to travel nationally or internationally once or twice per year.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and use discretion.
• Strong commitment to the Guthrie Theater’s mission and core values.
How to apply
Applicants must submit the following to be considered for the position:
• Cover letter
• References (3 total)
The Guthrie is dedicated to building a culturally diverse and equitable environment and strongly encourages applications from people of color and women. This position will remain open until filled and until a diverse and qualified pool of candidates is identified. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply.