Individual Giving Manager
City: Minneapolis, MN
The Guthrie Theater engages exceptional theater artists in the exploration of both classic and contemporary plays connecting the community we serve to one another and to the world. Through its extraordinary artists, staff and facility, the Guthrie is committed to the people of Minnesota, and from its place, rooted deeply in the Twin Cities, influences the field as a leading 21st century arts organization.
Every year more than 500 people, both on stage and off, help ensure our success in creating and supporting the highest level of theater. As an organization, we are committed to our values of Artistic Excellence, Community, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and Fiscal Responsibility.
The Guthrie Theater seeks an Individual Giving Manager to join its 9-person Development team, which is comprised of people who prioritize meeting contributed income goals and donor experiences, loyalty and satisfaction. The Development team raises more than $10 million per year in a fast-paced and creative environment. The Individual Giving Manager is responsible to personally cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of Guthrie supporters who make gifts of $2,500 +. The role also manages the Guthrie Circle Program. Leads and oversees the operations of the Kitchak Lounge for donors. Assists the Director of Individual Giving with the Producer Program that includes donors of $10,000 +. The ideal candidate will bring experience growing relationships with donors and contributing to successful strategies for effective donor cultivation and stewardship.
• Personally cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of Guthrie supporters who make gifts of $2,500 or more.
o Make 20 documented weekly contacts with prospective and current donors through in-person meetings, phone, and email seeking to advance them to greater financial commitments.
o Identify and cultivate prospective Guthrie Circle donors through member introductions and from within the current pool of Guthrie supporters.
• Manage the Guthrie Circle program ($2,500 and above), communicating benefits clearly and creating a collegial environment in an effort to retain and increase support.
o Using brand marketing best practices, strategize appropriate solicitation and communications to Guthrie Circle members.
o Manage Tessitura “plans” for all donors $500 and above, strategizing appropriate “steps” for effective moves management. Perform the role of Tessitura “portfolio” manager for all Individual “plans”, ensuring clean and cohesive actions are taken for all patrons throughout the fiscal year cycle.
o Create donor materials including solicitation letters, brochures, buck slips, one-sheets, newsletters, benefit materials and various recognition gifts.
• Assist the Director of Individual Giving in the design and implementation of the Producer Program ($10,000 and above).
• Oversee the operations of the Kitchak Donor Lounge.
• Coordinate and/or assist with various Guthrie events and donor trips.
• Other duties as needed or assigned.
Qualifications or requirements
• Minimum of five years of experience in a non-profit development position or similar role.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and experience in building strong relationships with donors.
• A positive attitude, excellent manners and a warm and professional demeanor.
• Knowledge of nonprofit development principles and best practices.
• Ability to solve problems with creativity and efficiency.
• Exemplary attention to detail.
• Ability to collaborate or work independently to set priorities and manage multiple projects, within and outside the department.
• Ability to work flexibly in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a sound perspective.
• Availability to work nights and weekends as required and to travel nationally or internationally once or twice per year.
• Ability to train, motivate and manage staff and volunteers.
• Commitment to working with diverse groups in terms of gender expression, race, sexual orientation, religion, ability, age, class and immigrant status.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Strong commitment to the Guthrie Theater’s mission and core values.