Library Associate I
City: Rapid City, SD
Salary: $18.43 / hr.
Is this a remote / WFH position?: No
Rapid City Public Library is the second largest public library in South Dakota. With approximately 1,200 visitors daily, the library’s vibrant, innovative, and customer-focused services lead to nearly a million checkouts annually. We offer a diverse roster of creative and informative events and educational STEAM activities and tools in the makerspace. Not only do we offer traditional library services and computer access, but our community embraces offerings such as board games and an extensive and popular digital library. A leader for professional development training in western South Dakota, join our energetic, fast-paced, and multi-faceted team!
The City of Rapid City offers fantastic benefits including employer-paid health insurance premiums, 6% employer-matching retirement, life insurance benefits, short-term disability and generous vacation and sick leave time off.
This position is part of the AFSCME – Library union. Applications within the work unit will be considered first.
The Library Associate I works with the public to provide customer service and assist with reference needs. Essential duties and responsibilities are:
– Acts as a point of contact for patrons at library service points.
– Learns, utilizes, promotes, and troubleshoots existing and emerging technologies and library services.
– Teaches the use of technology and library services, and assists with hands-on learning.
– Plans and presents programs in coordination with Events Coordinator as assigned.
– Analyzes patron inquiries to provide information and/or materials; assists in the use of the catalog, and other information resources.
– Acts as a readers’ advisor which includes creating and maintaining displays and writing reviews of library materials.
– Under direct supervision, develops and maintains collections in assigned areas.
– Maintains a welcoming and well-kept public space.
– Uses integrated library system to effectively manage library materials.
– Performs acquisitions, processing and cataloging utilizing library databases and software. Performs interlibrary loan.
– Other duties as assigned.
This full-time position includes various shifts including days, evenings and weekends.
Qualifications or requirements
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty successfully. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
– High level of customer service and communication skills
– Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
– Ability to work collaboratively as well as independently on assigned projects
– Ability to deal with conflict in an effective manner
– Ability to exercise judgment with regard to library policies and procedures
We understand your time is valuable, so we encourage you to apply if you possess the following minimum requirements:
– Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college and (2) two years of directly related professional experience.
– Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, social networking resources, and mobile devices.
– Valid South Dakota driver’s license, or the ability to obtain within 30 days of hire.