Music Director / Conductor
City: Northfield, MN
Salary: Starting at $6,500
Cannon Valley Youth Orchestra serves rural communities south of the Twin Cities, and is a non-profit organization based in Northfield, MN. CVYO consists of orchestras at three levels with a total of 50 elementary, middle and high school youth string musicians. CVYO seeks to foster the artistic growth and personal development of talented, young string musicians, and to provide opportunities for the musical education and enjoyment of the membership and the community at large.
The ideal candidate for Music Director/Conductor will be someone with a passion for string pedagogy and youth orchestra conducting from advanced beginners up to advanced high school string students. They will pursue a high standard of excellence from players. This person will have an encouraging, inspiring and engaging demeanor. They will use a wide repertoire in different musical styles to engage and support players in their musical development and to reach new levels of mastery with their instruments. They will demonstrate strong leadership skills, and be punctual and organized. This person should be interested in a long term commitment to the mission of CVYO.
Qualifications or requirements
● conduct weekly Tuesday rehearsals and culminating concerts for two 10 week sessions: September – November and January – April.
● select varied, appropriate orchestral repertoire that engages, inspires and develops playing skills of youth string musicians
● hold auditions opportunities three times a year in August, January and April
● attend board meetings and participate in Board of Director decisions
● act as liaison with schools and community music educators
● work with board to plan, launch and further develop a summer orchestra program
● engage in efforts to recruit and retain orchestra participants
● Salary range begins at $6,500
How to apply
A cover letter and resume should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Additional materials may be requested at a later date. For more information about our organization, visit our website at www.cvyomn.org