Salary: Depends on qualifications
The Guthrie Theater engages exceptional theater artists in the exploration of both classic and contemporary plays connecting the community we serve to one another and to the world. Through its extraordinary artists, staff and facility, the Guthrie is committed to the people of Minnesota, and from its place, rooted deeply in the Twin Cities, influences the field as a leading 21st century arts organization.
Every year more than 500 people, both on stage and off, help ensure our success in creating and supporting the highest level of theater. As an organization, we are committed our values of Artistic Excellence, Community, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and Fiscal Responsibility.
The Security Guard (part-time, weekends) position is responsible for the safety and security of assets, property, personnel, patrons, customers, and all visitors of the Guthrie Theater by monitoring and patrolling the theater premises, and responding to incidents in a calm and professional demeanor at all times. This position will primarily work from 3:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays with the opportunity to fill in more shifts if they become available.
• Perform security patrols to ensure the protection of property from trespassing, fire, accidents, vandalism and other security related incidents, reporting any unlawful or suspicious activity through established company procedures.
• Monitor access to premises and property including personnel, visitors, and patrons.
• Work with Visitor Services staff to assist patrons, visitors, and staff in public areas; such as, answering general questions, crowd control and ensure all request for Accessibility Services are fulfilled.
• Resolve situations calmly with tact and common sense – including, but not limited to warning, apprehension and/or eviction of violators from premises if warranted. Duties include notifying the appropriate municipal departments (IE: fire, police, emergency responders) when necessary
• Respond to emergencies and administer First Aid/CPR/AED when appropriate and necessary
• Ability to communicate, both verbally and in written form to complete required documentation of Daily Activity Report and written Incident Reports.
• Answer phone calls, take messages, and assist vendors, to promote internal department communication, and to ensure effective communication to Guthrie staff.
• Contribute to the overall work culture of the Guthrie. Promote a positive work culture by promoting interdepartmental team work and fostering open communication.
• Other duties as needed or assigned.
Qualifications or requirements
• One or more years of security related experience, or a combination of equivalent experience and training.
• Must possess or be willing to obtain certifications in First Responder/First Aid/CPR/AED.
• Ability to work with independently as well as with a team atmosphere.
• Ability to contribute to a positive visitor experience.
• Ability to respond quickly to a wide variety of requests for emergency and non-emergency assistance.
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment and able to resolve problems that may affect large volumes of people.
• Ability to demonstrate good judgment under pressure or in stressful situations.
• Requires the ability to work all shifts including day, power, afternoon, overnight, weekends, weekdays and holidays.
• Strong commitment to diversity and inclusion.
• Ability and commitment to working with diverse groups in terms of gender expression, race, sexual orientation, religion, ability, age, class and immigrant status.
• Must be able to work Saturdays and Sundays from 3:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.
How to apply
A Note from Human Resources
Applicants must submit the following to be considered for the position:
• Cover letter
• References (3 total)
The Guthrie is dedicated to building a culturally diverse and equitable environment and strongly encourages applications from people of color and women. This position will remain open until filled and until a diverse and qualified pool of candidates is identified. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply.