City: Minneapolis, MN
Salary: $ 22.00 / hr.
Is this a remote / work from home position?: No
About the position: The Shop Coordinator is an integral part of the staff team at Chicago Avenue Fire Arts Center (CAFAC), tasked with keeping our busy shop running smoothly. The shop is the heart of our welcoming and inclusive learning environment, where students of all ages, backgrounds, and experience levels, and artists at all stages in their careers, work and learn side by side.
The Shop Coordinator is responsible for:
• Keeping all shop spaces clean and organized
• Maintenance and repair of shop tools & equipment, including outsourcing repair needs as necessary
• Keeping a routine equipment maintenance schedule
• Managing inventory of shop consumables in coordination with instructors and Artistic Director, including vendor sourcing and relationships
• Helping to identify shop tasks for volunteers, in collaboration with Volunteer Coordinator
• Supporting instructors and studio artists with shop-related needs
• Assist with test-out process for studio artists
• Awareness and oversight of the flow of activity in a busy shop, in collaboration with the rest of the staff team
• Helping the rest of the staff team prepare for and hold occasional special events
The Shop Coordinator reports to two co-directors, the Artistic Director and the Executive Director. Our team is highly collaborative and values communication, feedback, and camaraderie. Here’s a complete position description.
This position is 10 hours per week (over 2-3 days), with flexible daytime hours.
About CAFAC: Our mission is to inspire hands, hearts, and minds through art forms produced by heat, spark, or flame. We support artists and learners working in industrial art forms including blacksmithing, enameling, glassworking, jewelry-making, metal casting, neon, sculptural welding, and more. Our work is organized into three main pillars: education, artist support, and public art, which together provide a platform for community-driven resources and social impact.
People who identify as Black, Brown, Indigenous, or POC, along with women and non-binary folks, are under-represented in the industrial art forms CAFAC supports. CAFAC is a community-based organization located at 38th & Chicago, in a diverse neighborhood that holds a significant place in the history and future of Black residents of South Minneapolis. For these reasons, CAFAC is committed to seeking candidates for this leadership role who will increase the diversity of representation in our field and reflect our neighborhood.
Qualifications or requirements
As a candidate for the Shop Coordinator position, you:
• Are comfortable in an industrial shop, with a commitment to safety practices
• Have most of the skills to match the responsibilities listed, and the motivation to learn what you don’t yet know
• See yourself thriving in a shop and learning environment that values equal access and reciprocal learning
• Can work independently to manage your time and responsibilities, within a collaborative and team that checks in with each other frequently
Other skills that you might have, but aren’t required:
• Bilingual Spanish or Somali speaker
• CNC machine experience
• Interest or experience with artistic fabrication
How to apply
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We expect to start interviewing candidates the week of March 15, 2021.