City: St. Paul, MN
The Ordway: The Ordway, recognized as one of the U.S.’s leading not-for-profit performing arts centers, is home to a wide variety of performances throughout the year that encompass the finest in American musical theater, world music, dance, and vocal artists. Performances take place in the 1,900-seat Music Theater and a new 1,100-seat Concert Hall. The Ordway is committed to providing a welcome and inclusive environment for all patrons, artists, and employees.
Position Purpose: The Usher is responsible for greeting, admitting, and directing patrons, and is the primary face of the Ordway while providing for the enjoyment, safety, comfort, and quality Ordway experience of audience members.
Candidate Attributes: A successful candidate will enjoy interacting and assisting patrons to ensure an exceptional theater experience, maintains a high level of customer service to all patrons, and has an interest in the arts.
• Posting Date: 5/31/19
• Closing Date: Open until filled, this position will remain open until the Ordway has seen a diverse pool of candidates
• Employee Type: Part-time, nonexempt
• Pay Rate: $9.86/hr to start
• Benefits: Free parking for evening and weekend shifts. Parking stipend for weekday, daytime events. Discounted tickets.
• Department: Guest Services
• Reports to: Director of Guest Services and the House Manager
Qualifications or requirements
Key Performance Areas:
• Communicate concise directions and information to patrons at events and performances to ensure a high level of customer service and care.
• Report any situations or guests to the Event Supervisor or Floor Supervisor on duty that need immediate assistance and be a reference for future events.
• Implement proper safety and security procedures and policies in a calm and productive manner to ensure the Ordway experience.
• The Ordway is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and inclusive excellence of the organization through their communication and customer service skills.
• The ability to work evenings and weekends as a normal work schedule is required.
• The ability to bend, lift, stay mobile for extended two+ hours, and move quickly up and down stairs in low light situations are all required.
How to apply
To Apply: For more information or to apply, visit ordway.org/employment.
Ordway is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, creed, marital status, familial status, public assistance status, age, local human rights commission activity, national origin, and veteran, or disability status. The Ordway Theater and administrative office are wheelchair accessible and service animals are welcomed. All applicants who have questions or needs regarding access accommodations or interpreting assistance for job interviews are encouraged to reach out to Human Resources.
We know there are great candidates who may not fit into the criteria we’ve outlined here, or who have important skills we haven’t listed. If that’s you, please don’t hesitate to apply anyway and tell us about yourself.