Visual Arts Instructor
City: Saint Paul, MN
Salary: $36,000 – $38,000 per year
Is this a remote / work from home position?: Yes
Since 1996, Interact’s mission to create art that challenges perceptions of disability has redefined who is included in creating the artistic vocabulary. Our entourage of 100+ actors and visual artists with disabilities creates all original work, sustains rigorous professional standards, and explores ideas through the lens of the entire spectrum of disability labels. Our uncompromising vision of radical inclusion dissolves concepts of who “can” or “cannot,” blending the talents and viewpoints of artists with and without disabilities, and artists from mainstream and marginalized communities. http://www.interactcenter.org
Interact Position Description
Position: Visual Arts staff
Reports To: Visual Arts Department Manager
Status: Full Time; 8:30-4:30pm M-F. Occasional evening/weekend hours. Exempt, benefits eligible. Some hours may vary during the virtual programming. Please check with your department supervisor, Joli.
Involvement with clients: Direct service responsibilities
Pay rate: Between $36,000 and $38,000 per year depending on qualifications.
This position serves primarily as an art instructor for an estimated 60 artists enrolled in the Interact Visual Arts program, and serves as a personal advocate for a sub-set of 10-15 artists within the program. Candidates should have some experience in client care for a vulnerable population. This position is expected to have some administrative acumen in order to plan and communicate efficiently. We prioritize candidates that have an active personal arts practice, as this best upholds Interact’s organizational values.
• Proactively plan, organize and facilitate daily artistic programming with department team of other artists, including developing and teaching workshops.
• Participate in planning and implementing studio activities, including art exhibitions, staffing art gallery during shows; community art events or field trips.
• Serve as artistic advocate for an assigned group of client artists with a range of disabilities, including but not limited to cognitive, physical and developmental disabilities. Assist client artists with their daily artistic needs, set annual goals and maintain monthly logs for each client to ensure each artist makes progress in their artistic career.
• Participate in all required social services and state licensing training; follow all policies and procedures to ensure clients are in a safe and supportive environment at all times.
• Candidates must be willing to assist clients with personal needs, including toileting, if required.
• Work retail gallery shifts for special events outside of regular work hours with comp time provided (St Paul Art Crawl, Interact shows, Holiday Art Sale, etc.) These job duties are on hold while we are only providing virtual programming, but will become part of the job when we return to the center.
Virtual Interact has some unique challenges and job responsibilities some of which are listed here:
• All staff need to be aware that as we grow and learn in how to best provide services in this new world, the jobs we all have will also change as needed. The first thing we need is all staff to be is flexible, adaptable, and open to change.
• You will need to work collaboratively and have a positive approach to problem solving.
• Must be able to troubleshoot technology issues with clients and self
• Must be familiar with Zoom breakout rooms, Outlook and Google platforms, and video conferencing
• Must be present and engaged and available for breakout rooms and to lead sessions.
Must have own computer and able to access Cloud based Office 365 to use Outlook, access documents and to run Zoom
Qualifications or requirements
• Demonstrated experience in developing, teaching and evaluating workshops/classes in the arts and arts instruction required.
• Ability to work collaboratively as a part of a team environment; strong interpersonal skills required.
• Experience in the social services or disability community highly preferred; knowledge of ASL a plus.
• All candidates must pass a background check prior to hiring.
• People of color, men and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly encouraged to apply.
BENEFIT SUMMARY: Interact provides 70% of the employee’s medical and dental premium for full time employees. After 12 months of service, Interact provides a 403(b) retirement plan. At this time, we do not contribute to the plan. We also offer a disability and life insurance plan, and an FSA. We offer 15 days of paid vacation time, per year, for all regular full time employees, increasing accrual with tenure. We also recognize 10 paid holidays each calendar year. Regular full time employees earn one sick day per month.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES: Demonstrate communication skills (oral and written) with artists, families, health professionals, community agencies, and units of government. Demonstrated ability to work with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and economic backgrounds.
How to apply
Please send a letter of interest, resume, 3 professional references and 3 work samples to email@example.com.
Applications without these items will not be considered. No phone calls or walk-ins, please.