4th & Court Walking Path Project
Open to artists nationally
Open to artists statewide
Paid opportunity (The total project budget is $35,000.)
RFQ – 4th & Court Walking Path Project
Des Moines, Iowa
Operation Downtown and Knapp Properties seek an artist/artist team to add creative/unique lighting to the walking path near the 4th and Court parking garage in Downtown Des Moines (DSM). The goal of this project is to create a sense of place with a comfortable and safe walking path. As budget allows, there is also desire to install a complementary, three-dimensional art piece on the concrete wall on the southside of the 4th and Court parking garage which will not affect the current vegetation.
The walking path connects pedestrians from 5th Avenue to 4th Street. The installed lighting should provide enough illumination to create a comfortable and safe walking path at all times and especially at night. The art piece should be installed in a manner and height to deter vandalism. In addition, the design and overall concept should appeal to pedestrians both during the day and night.
The total project budget is $35,000. This covers artist fees, fabrication, installation, travel costs, and other related expenses for both the lighting and art piece. The selection committee reserves the right to choose one artist for both the lighting and art piece or one artist for the lighting and one artist for the art piece. The budget will be adjusted accordingly if the project is split between two artists and will not exceed $35,000 for both lighting and art. Preference will be given to projects that incorporate a three-dimensional art piece with sufficient lighting.
• Quality of work samples.
• Demonstration of project understanding.
• Ability to meet project schedule.
• This opportunity is open to artists at least 18 years of age, emerging artists are encouraged to apply.
A selection panel made up of representatives from Knapp Properties, Operation Downtown, and community stakeholders will select the final artist(s). After review of the proposals from the initial submission (Round 1), finalists will be chosen to create a proposal (Round 2 submission). Each finalist chosen for Round 2 will be provided a $500 design fee to generate and submit a concept proposal.
Submission Materials and Instructions
• Letter of interest clarifying which component of the project to be considered for (lighting, art or both).
• Projected budget breakdown.
• Main point of contact: email, phone number, address, website, social media if applicable.
• Biographical information and resume/CV. If artist team, please provide biographical information and resume/CV for lead artist only and one bio paragraph for each team member.
• Three professional references (contact information only).
• 3-5 work samples with images of each project. Include description, budget, location and image(s) of projects.
• Project concept, including visual and written description, must include:
o Detailed installation plan (manner of installation and height) to avoid vandalism.
o Written description not to exceed one page.
• Projected budget breakdown (confirm or make changes to Round 1 budget breakdown).
• Anticipated timeline.
• A list of any subcontractors.
• Proposed maintenance expectations/maintenance plan and cost. (Based on materials/products used or methods of installation, what do you anticipate would need ongoing maintenance, what does it include and what is the total cost.)
• Life expectancy of the project.
Please submit all materials in a PDF via email to acrowell@downtownDSMUSA.com
Jan. 28, 11:59 p.m. RFQ response deadline
Feb. 19 Round 2 Finalists notified
Feb. 21, 5 p.m. Question deadline. Questions are to be submitted to the contact listed below via email. Answers to all questions will be emailed to Round 2 Finalists.
Mar. 11, 5 p.m. Round 2 Finalists’ proposal submission deadline
Week of March 25 Potential Finalist interviews
April 1 Finalist(s) notified
April 2 – 15 Contract review and finalization
Mid-April – May Fabrication/Installation
By June 1 Project complete
*Timeline subject to change
Please direct any questions to acrowell@downtownDSMUSA.com
About Knapp Properties
Knapp Properties is a real estate brokerage, real estate development and property management entity based out of West Des Moines, Iowa. They are dedicated in the belief that what’s good for central Iowa is good for all. Knapp Properties recognizes that by being a member of our community, there is a commitment to making the areas and properties they manage the best developed and managed for the people who utilize the space.
About Operation Downtown
Created to help make Downtown Des Moines (DSM) a safer, cleaner place to work, live and visit, Operation Downtown is classified as a Self-Supported Municipal Improvement District (SSMID). The mission is to keep Downtown DSM clean, safe, welcoming and vibrant in support of a positive experience. Programs include trash cleanup, pressure washing and visitor assistance. Operation Downtown, a 501(c)6, was formed in 1998 by business leaders to provide enhanced services that are not provided by the City of Des Moines. Today, Operation Downtown’s work not only enhances Downtown DSM, but it also has raised the standards of what a clean, safe and vibrant city should look like.
Keeping Downtown DSM clean, safe, welcoming, and vibrant in support of a positive experience.