Springboard for the Arts is delighted to announce that we have purchased the building and lot at 262 University West in Saint Paul. We are excited to hold this space for community events, expanded offices and programming, and new market opportunities.
The process of pre-development, capital campaign and renovation will be a long one, with full construction not anticipated until 2019 and a move in 2020. During that intervening period, Springboard will host pop-ups, community events, and other opportunities to gather feedback about the final design and eventual use of the property.
Call for proposals
One of those means of engagement will be through the windows of the building – there are so many windows! For this opportunity, selected artists will utilize 6 windows, each made up of 2 panes measuring 55 in x 84 inches.
Springboard will utilize several additional windows for posting community updates and other information. This call for proposals is for 6 creative, engaging artworks to be showcased in 6 of the windows from August –December 2018. Proposals may come from individual artists, artist groups, and community members.
Springboard for the Arts is an economic and community development organization for artists and by artists. Our work is about building stronger communities, neighborhoods, and economies, and we believe that artists are vital to that work.
Create artworks for the windows at 262 UniversityAvenue West that can beautify the space during predevelopment, bring a sense of momentum or curiosity to the site, create opportunities for community participation, express desires for development, or otherwise activate the space.
- Proposals can come from individual artists, artist groups, or community members.
- 6 proposals will be selected, preference will be given to artists who live, work, or have a significant connection to the University Avenue Corridor and surrounding neighborhoods –Rondo, Frogtown or the Little Mekong Cultural District.
- Selected proposals will receive a stipend of $750.
-Work should be 2 dimensional and on paper, fabric, vinyl, or other appropriate material and must be able to be temporarily attached to the window with tape or other removable adhesive, it can be as simple as paint on butcher paper, taped to windows.
- If selected, Springboard for the Arts has approval of the final design.
- Artwork must be produced off site and be installed/de-installed by artist, with installation support from Springboard for the Arts.
- Must be sized to fit one window (2 panes measuring 55 in x 84 in, for a total space of 110 in x 84 inches).
- Artwork must not permanently damage windows, window frames or other physical infrastructure.
- Art will be displayed in 6 windows from August-December 2018.
- Art will not be insured by Springboard for the Arts.
- Art remains property of artist.
You can direct questions about this call to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline: submitted by 11:59PM, Friday, June 29, 2018
Notification: Mid-July 2018 (Exact install/de-install dates TBD)
Installation: August 2018
SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION WITH THE FORM BELOW.
Note: Complete and compile items listed below (contact information, proposal, work samples etc.) to prepare for submitting to the online application all at the same time. The online form will not save your incomplete submission.