Thank you to everyone who joined us – online and in person – to celebrate the opening of our offices and community space on University Avenue in St. Paul. This year we're celebrating 30 years as an independent non-profit, 10 years of work from Fergus Falls, and now this space, and it wouldn't be possible without you. We're honored to share this poem, "Who We Were," by Hawona Sullivan Janzen, as a reflection of that work.
I know I am speaking for the entire Springboard staff and board when I say this project stretched our limits and beyond. This was a big leap for our organization, and what held us together was the embrace of friends and supporters. I am so thankful to all of you for joining us on this journey — and for often leading the way.
The opening celebration had two components – a virtual celebration on Friday, October 1, 3-4pm Central, and an in-person celebration at 262 University Avenue West in St. Paul on Saturday, October 2, 1-5pm. We want to take this opportunity to celebrate the work of the staff, board and artists who have gotten us to this point, thank our supporters and donors who have made this possible, and invite neighbors, friends, and community members to celebrate with us however they are able.
Virtual Celebration, Friday, October 1, 3-4pm Central
In-person Celebration, Saturday, October 2, 1-5pm Central
- Performances from Lady Midnight, Yevrah, Alicia Thao, Heart and Soul Drum Academy, New Black City
- Tunes from DJ Miss Brit
- Poetry from Hawona Sullivan Janzen
- Community painting with Geno Okok
- Robot dancefloor with Nick Knutson
- Art-making with Creative Cart Studio
- Song production with Rich Lee
- Artist Career Consultant drop-in with Jes Reyes, Aaron Fiskradatz, Dana Sikkila, and Patrick Scully
- Headshot station
- Timed tours of the building
- Special remarks
- Snacks and treats from K's Revolutionary Catering, Marc Heu Patisserie, Union Hmong Kitchen, Flava Café, and Spinning Wylde
Opening celebrations are supported by the Bush Foundation.
Opening celebration photos by Destiny Roberts.