This listing is maintained by Springboard for the Arts as a service to the artist communities of the Upper Midwest. It is updated regularly, but information may change. None of the postings here are sponsored, nor does making them available constitute a direct endorsement from Springboard for the Arts.
$ = paid subscription required
✰ = free to Resource Center users
- Springboard for the Arts (MN, WI, ND, SD, IA)
- Arts Wisconsin (Wisconsin)
- Northeast Wisconsin Arts Association (Wisconsin)
- Iowa Arts Council (Iowa)
- DSM Girl Gang / Art Beacon Classifieds (Iowa)
- Arts South Dakota (South Dakota)
- Alliance of Artist Communities / Jobs (nationwide)
- Americans for the Arts / Job Bank (nationwide)
- ART JOBS (nationwide)
- New York Foundation for the Arts / Jobs (New York City, some nationwide)
- Chicago Artist Resource / Jobs (Chicago)
- Los Angeles Art Resource / Jobs (Southern California)
- Hire Culture (Massachusetts / New England)
- Impact Design Hub (nationwide)
- Alliance of Artists Communities: "Your one-stop guide to residencies for visual artists, writers, composers, choreographers, scholars, filmmakers, community artists, architects, and more -- around the world and in your backyard."
- Res Artis: "We are an association of over 550 centers, organisations, and individuals in over 70 countries. Each of our members is dedicated to offering artists, curators, and all manner of creative people the essential time and place away from the pressures and habits of every-day life, an experience framed within a unique geographic and cultural context."
- Residency Unlimited: "Residency Unlimited (RU) Opportunities is a free online listing service delivering up-to-date information about artist residencies worldwide."
- mnartists.org: The region’s most comprehensive listing of opportunities and calls for work. You can also find individual artists’ listings, articles, calendars of events and more.
- Minnesota State Arts Board: A listing of statewide opportunities for artists in all disciplines.
- Chicago Artist Resource / Call for Artists (Chicago)
- Artist Trust / Opportunities (Seattle / Pacific Northwest)
- Los Angeles Art Resource / Calls for Entry (Southern California)
- Art Fair Sourcebook: “The Art Fair SourceBook provides listings for 1,500 art shows and craft fairs.” Subscription required, beginning at $299/yr. $
- Art Deadline: “The art world’s source for income and exhibition opportunities.”
- Art List: “Our online art and photo call submissions database is updated daily with high quality art and photography calls.” Registration required; select free or premium ($27/yr.) membership. $
- Art Show: “Art and photography contests, juried exhibitions, art festivals, or any other artists’ opportunities.” Filters opportunity by region.
- Artist Help Network: Includes “information on exhibition opportunities in alternative spaces, for-profit and nonprofit galleries, museums, university galleries, and other venues,” as well as a list of recommended publications.
- Artwork Archive: "Artwork Archive’s Calls page delivers trusted opportunities to over 100,000 artists around the world."
- CaFÉ: Call for Entry. “An easy-to-use system to create a profile with contact information, upload digital images of their artwork, and apply to a number of open calls for entry.” Free, but registration required.
- College Art Association / Opportunities: “Continuously updated information for artists, scholars, museum professionals, educators, and other members of the visual-arts community.”
- EntryThingy is a platform for "call for entries, management and art jury system," including a list of current calls.
- New York Foundation for the Arts / Opportunities: Mostly New York, but some nationwide. Searchable by opportunity type and discipline.
- The Friends of St. Paul Public Library: Listings of Minnesota organizations for writers, graduate writing programs, literary publications, funding opportunities for writers, and more.
- The Loft / Community Postings: Allows “the public to post opportunities directly to our website. Categories include calls for submissions, contests and grants, writing groups, book clubs, services for writers, and Loft member and student news.”
- Minnesota Center for Book Arts: “Listing of calls for art, residencies and artist opportunities as a resource for our artist community.”
- Minnesota Lit Mags Review: A good, up-to-date (as of 2012) overview of literary publications in the state, most of which accept submissions.
- Duotrope: An excellent subscription service to “help you find the perfect match for your piece from thousands of current fiction, poetry, and non-fiction markets.” Subscriptions are $5/mo., or $50/yr. $
- Poets & Writers / Tools for writers: Provides resources for people seeking “writing competitions, MFA creative writing programs, or literary magazines and small presses that welcome both new and established writers.” Also has a job listing for writers.
- Writers’ Market: “Find places to sell your writing, whether you’ve got a book, manuscript, or article idea.” Subscriptions are $39.99/yr. Springboard’s Resource Center offers access free of charge on our three workstations. $ ✰
- MN Film TV Hotline: Acting and casting calls, calls for entry, casting for film actors, more.
- Minnesota Playlist / Opportunities: The most comprehensive listing of auditions and other many opportunities, updated frequently. (See also the Minnesota Playlist Jobs board.)
- Minnesota Arts Market: A “place to find reusable arts and theater materials.”
- Artsearch TCG: “Over 3,000 jobs posted annually,” primarily in theater. Membership required. ($35/yr.) $
- Dramatists Guild: An organization that “advances the interests of playwrights, composers, lyricists and librettists writing for the living stage.” Also produces the Resource Directory, “the only annually printed reference guide containing opportunities for playwrights, composers, lyricists and librettists.” Also available in an electronic format. Membership required - $130/yr., $90/yr. for associates, $45/yr. for students $
- National New Play Network / New Play Exchange: NNPN “is the country’s alliance of nonprofit theaters that champions the development, production, and continued life of new plays.” The New Play Exchange is “a cloud-based script database, enhanced with a robust search-and-filter mechanism…The NPX lets writers share scripts and helps theaters discover and evaluate them in a more streamlined, targeted way than ever before.”
- DanceMN: The Dance Community Newsletter is a weekly bulletin that serves as the primary home for all relevant dance information in the Twin Cities, including performances, events, classes, workshops, auditions, jobs, open calls, grants, dance writing, and more. Community-driven and free to read and post.
- Dance/USA: “Dance/USA sustains and advances professional dance by addressing the needs, concerns, and interests of artists, administrators, and organizations.” Membership required. ($100/yr. for independent artists/choreographers, professional dancers, and individuals) $
- American Composers Forum: Over a hundred postings, updated regularly. Membership required to view the Opportunities page. ($70/yr.) $
- Diverse Emerging Music Organization (DEMO): An organization that "promotes, supports, and educates emerging independent musicians, as well as communities eager for rich, multi-cultural experiences."
- Minnesota Music Coalition: A statewide network for independent musicians. "Through education, communication, and advocacy, we create access to resources and professional development services."
- University of Minnesota School of Music Gig Board: “A communication tool to highlight performance opportunities for University of Minnesota School of Music student musicians.”
- The Bridge: “Online access to 3,000 opportunities in music and arts administration…auditions, teaching positions, administrative positions, competitions, grants, scholarships, and festivals.” Subscription required ($55/yr.). $ ✰
- Composer’s Site: Searchable by competitions, calls for submissions, performers and ensembles seeking works, more.
- Composition Today Opportunities: “The latest opportunities for composers from around the world, including competitions, call for scores, academic jobs, awards, bursaries and courses.”
- Johns Hopkins University Peabody Conservatory Music Opportunities Directory: Comprehensive job/opportunity listing and resources, including arts administration jobs, internships, scholarship and grant opportunities, competitions, performing and touring opportunities, and more.
- Future of Music Coalition: “A Washington D.C.-based nonprofit organization supporting a musical ecosystem where artists flourish and are compensated fairly and transparently for their work.” See also the Artist Revenue Streams page.
- MN Film TV Hotline: Bulletin board of resources and opportunities for the production industry in MN.
- Screenwriter’s Workshop: Eligible to have your work read and workshopped in a variety of settings, free or reduced admission to classes and workshops, access to social mixers to network with others in the film community, and more. Membership required ($50/yr.) $
Minnesota Exhibition Opportunities
- Cinema Lounge: Original short film showcase featuring MN work by local, indie filmmakers every month at the Bryant-Lake Bowl Theater. Submit here for free.
- Minneapolis – St. Paul International Film Festival: Presented every April, the MSPIFF presents over 250 films from more than 70 countries. Check submission deadlines here ($0-$52.50 submission fee for local filmmakers). $
- See-18: A series of short films to be screened at the new screening room in the Minneapolis St. Paul International Airport. All films must be about Minnesota or made by Minnesota-based filmmakers. Submit here for free.
- Twin Cities Film Fest: Annual film festival held in October highlighting film art for mainstream audiences and Minnesota filmmakers. Check submission deadlines here ($15-$80 submission fee for local filmmakers). $
- 48 Hour Film Festival: A competition to see who can make the best short film in only 48 hours. The winning film will be shown at Filmapalooza 2017 for a chance at the grand prize and an opportunity to screen at the Cannes Film Festival 2017, Court Métrage. Check the Facebook Page to stay up to date on registration dates and details ($125-$175/team). $
- Free Range Film Festival: An annual summer film festival that presents independent cinema in a barn. Submit here ($10). $
- Production Hub: Global network for production jobs and resources.
- Film Independent: Film Independent offers independent filmmakers a variety of resources, from classes and workshops to networking opportunities, awards, and job listings. Membership required for most of their benefits. ($95/yr.) $
- Mandy: “Your comprehensive guide to independent film/tv production resources.” Lists production companies/crews/equipment and job boards.
- Media Match Magazine: “The site houses a combined searchable database of over 180,924 media professionals and over 56,584 media companies, a classified forum for community posting, and a jobs board, bringing together the best in new opportunities across the United States and beyond.” Basic Membership is free, premium costs $12.50/mo. or $75/yr. $
- Ad Fed MN: Free job board for Minnesota’s advertising community.
- Minnesota Interactive Marketing Association: MIMA offers a variety of resources, including a comprehensive job board, to those working in the fields of design, technology, media, marketing, and all fields promoting innovative products and experiences.
- AIGA: “The largest association of professional designers in the world.” Must be a member in order to see job listings. Memberships differ in price and benefits ($50-$500/yr.). $
- Behance: Designers can share and discuss complete projects, works in progress, their full portfolios, etc. as well as search for jobs on their job board.
- Creative Hotlist: Platform for designers to post their resumes/portfolios and search a host of jobs nationwide.
- Dribble: “Dribble is a show and tell for designers” + Job board.
- Krop: Krop allows you to create an online portfolio and search through their list of creative jobs.