Stryker Apartments - Request for Qualifications (RFQ)
Open to artists statewide
Paid opportunity ($35,000 for the project. Finalist in the selection process will be provided with $500.00 to submit a site-specific proposal.)
Overview: Seeking an artist or artist team to create and install a permanent public artwork for Stryker Apartments are located at 617 Stryker Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55107. The installation site is at the corner of Stryker and King Street. This Request for Qualifications will consist of a three-part process: Finalists will be chosen by NeDA Arts Committee including representation from the community. Each finalist will receive a stipend to propose up to 3 conceptual designs. Concept proposals should include technical drawings, budget alignment, material, and fabrication methods. The committee representing key project and community partners will make the final selection.
About Stryker Apartments
Stryker Apartments is an affordable senior housing project developed by Neighborhood Development Alliance (NeDA). The project is slated for completion in November 2023. This affordable senior housing project has 57 units (33 efficiencies and 24 1-bedroom units). 43 units are affordable to seniors <30% AMI and 14 units affordable to <50% AMI. The project includes five units for Veterans coming out of homelessness.
About Neighborhood Development Alliance
NeDA is a non-profit community development corporation located on the West Side of Saint Paul. Our mission is to build affordable housing and empower communities to create sustainability through financial education and guidance. During the mid-80s, community members saw the need for quality and affordable real estate development on the West Side. NeDA officially formed in 1989 to make this vision happen. Since then, NeDA has developed 204 units of affordable rental property, created over 100 ownership units for low to moderate income families, and assisted 200 West Side homeowners with home rehabilitation projects.
ABOUT the RFQ
Stryker Apartments seeks artwork that celebrates the river and the West Side history. We are commissioning the conceptualization, production, and installation of the following art component by Artist(s). We seek artists from the Twin Cities community that have knowledge and/or connections to the West Side. NeDA encourages artists who are Latino, Black, Indigenous, or other People of Color to apply. Artists or Artist Teams may apply.
NeDA is seeking a free-standing sculpture designed for a public space. This will be on private property but accessible to the public. Plaza and Sculpture work will be located at the corner of Stryker and King Street. NeDA has a $35,000 budget for the program.
*See architectural plans below for more details (pages 5&6)..
• Art must be permanent (should be maintenance free for up to 15 years) and the artist must be able to explain the durability of the artwork with Minnesota weather conditions. The artist will be required to create a maintenance plan with a conservator as a final deliverable.
• Maximum project budget of $35,000 is all inclusive to cover artist time, fabrication, engineering consultations, installation, and any other additional expenses. Up to three agreed upon pay requests may be scheduled by the artist during project development, with proof of milestone completions.
• Selected artist/artist team will include community engagement during the production phase of creating the artwork, including, but not limited to, offering sessions for community members to see the production of the artwork. The delivery method of that engagement is up to the artist and should be presented during the review of the finalists.
• Artist can work in any medium appropriate for installing art on available location, including enameled metal, metal, cement or combination of mediums. Art must work within confinements of the cement platform.
• During the performance of the Services under the Artist Agreement, artist will need to share a Certificate of Insurance for the period of install in Spring of 2024.
• Contract agreements for all commissioned artworks will be established. Contracts will include language detailing: commission value, ownership, copyright, and liability.
ART COMMISSION TIMELINE
September 28, 2023 : RFQ Announced (Phase 1)
October 9, 2023: schedule In-person Info Sessions (if asked (Phase 1)
October 31, 2023: RFQ Deadline
November 15, 2023: Finalists Selected for Design Proposals
December 15, 2023: Finalists Proposal Review (Phase 2)
January 6, 2024: Artist(s) Commissioned Contract awarded
January 2024 – May 2024: Artist(s) Commission Activation, Design & Fabrication, Installation
May 2024: Completion of fabrication and final installation of art elements, maintenance plan submitted and final touches
(This date is subject to change based on the construction completion date.)
ARTIST SELECTION PROCESS
A group of neighbors and representatives of Neighborhood Development Alliance (NeDA) will review submissions, select the artists or artist teams. Artists living or working on the West Side of Saint Paul will be prioritized.
PHASE 1: Request for Qualifications. Artists and/or artist teams are invited to submit their qualifications for consideration by 11:59 PM October 15, 2023, please see below for application details. No more than 4 artists or artist teams will be invited to submit proposals as part of Phase 2.
PHASE 2: Request for Proposals. Selected artists and/or artist teams will receive a stipend of $500.00 to prepare and submit a site-specific proposal for consideration by November 30, 2023. Application details will be shared upon notification to finalists.
• Artists/artist teams of any discipline
• Artists are not required to have previously completed a public art project, but successful candidates will need to demonstrate their ability to lead and complete a large-scale, permanent public art project.
• Artists must be at least 18 years of age.
• Quality of artist’s past work as demonstrated in the submitted materials.
• Indication that artist or artist team has expertise to undertake project solely or can demonstrate a plan for accessing outside expertise to successfully complete the proposed project.
• West Side or Saint Paul based artist/artists team will be prioritized.
Please submit the following items as a single pdf to Info@nedahome.org for a complete application. You may submit proposals as an individual artist or artist team.
• Letter of Interest: Brief description of your interest in Stryker Apartments.
• Artist Statement: A brief artist statement about your experience creating permanent, free-standing or site- integrated artwork in any three-dimensional or two-dimensional materials.
• Resume or CV: Provide an artist Resume/CV (complete with name, contact information, website, and any relevant social media) that describes your art background and experience.
• Images and list of Work Samples: 6- 8 images of previously completed projects showing your experience with public art projects. Applicants should select images that express their artistic vision and technical ability. A corresponding image list with the title, medium, dimensions, brief description, location, date of work. Please be sure the title of the description matches the title of each work sample.
• Professional References: Two professional references including email, phone number, and the nature of your professional relationship.
Please submit all materials by 11:59PM Sunday, October 31, 2023, as a single pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email to: Info@nedahome.org with “Stryker Apartments Art” in the subject line for questions .